2002 crf 450 engine noise and metal. HELP

I have a new to my son 02 450 that has a weird noise (kind of grinding/bearing noise) in the engine. I just replaced the counter balance shaft and bearingswith no change. After 5 minutes of running there is metal in the oil filter and a fine metalic look to the oil. Honda dealer said possible connecting rod or crank problem. I pulled the top end down and really can't find anything that jumps out as wrong. My next move I guess is to split the cases and see what I can find.Can anyone please give me some ideas before I split this thing in half. Also, is there any surprises that I might find as I have never split the cases on one of these before. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

When you split the cases, be very patient and take your time - the dowel pins will likely be galled into their holes and make it a tedious process to slowly work things apart millimeter by millimeter.

I have a used crank/rod from my 2002 you can have if you need it. It looks fine and I only replaced it prophylactically - I just put the new one in about 30 days ago. A new one is $200 from servicehonda.com

As far as the grinding noise - you went to the first place to look - the balancer shaft and bearings. If not, it is anyone's guess. It seems likely that it is a bearing going bad somewhere. Could it be the water pump shaft or the oil pump?

Steve

I just replaced the balancer shaft and bearings yesterday with no success. Besides the tranny oil is fine and that is what lubes the balancer. I guess I will just split them and see. Thanks for the offer on the crank shaft, I will keep it in mind.

My guess would be the lower end rod bearing on the crank. I had this bearing go in my '03 and found the same metal shavings that you are describing. The only way to find out is take the cylinder off and measure the play in that bearing.

I found a problem. The main bearing on the right side is not to good. It has some chunks of metal missing where the ball bearing contacts the race. I will order parts from service Honda tomorrow and hopefully be back in business. It really is not to bad splitting cases. Nothing compared to the stuff I work on at work. Thanks for all the ideas you guys gave me. I will let you know how it turns out in about a week.

I found a problem. The main bearing on the right side is not to good. It has some chunks of metal missing where the ball bearing contacts the race. I will order parts from service Honda tomorrow and hopefully be back in business. It really is not to bad splitting cases. Nothing compared to the stuff I work on at work. Thanks for all the ideas you guys gave me. I will let you know how it turns out in about a week.

Good work.

What stuff do you work on at work?