Sign in to follow this  

Vapor lock in gas tank

I noticed a long time ago that if I fill the gas tank all the way to the top, my bike would have serious problems. The first couple times it happened, I didnt know what it was. The bike would suddenly die while doin 55 on the highway, very scary.

It turned out it was a fuel vapor lock problem from the tight locking gas cap I have (CA s model). Holy crap, I just remembered, I should have added this to my last post about my drz havin problems, cause when I stopped my bike, I tried releasing the pressure from the gas cap and there was a lot released. I was just wondering if others with the locking gas cap have experienced this vapor lock? Slobiker

Very common with CA DRZ's... due to the vapor recovery system.. You do not have a tank vent,, as do other non CA tanks.. Yours has a vent system that goes to a charcol canister,,,, That canister gets plugged up with raw fuel,, then you no longer have any vent,, and the bike stops running. Dump the vapor recovery system,,problem solved.

bronco is half right. it's not the canister that gets full of fuel, it's just the line to the canister. the line dips way down on the side of the bike and fuel from an overfilled gas tank sits at the bottom of that hose and causes the vacuum. you can actually unplug the hose from the little valve thingy there and dump the fuel and keep on riding.

but you're better off just removing all that crap.

cheers

droo

guys, can I get some detailed instuctions on how to remove all CA smog crap please!!!

bronco is half right. it's not the canister that gets full of fuel, it's just the line to the canister. the line dips way down on the side of the bike and fuel from an overfilled gas tank sits at the bottom of that hose and causes the vacuum. you can actually unplug the hose from the little valve thingy there and dump the fuel and keep on riding.

but you're better off just removing all that crap.

cheers

droo

While I'm sure your observations are as you have seen.. :cry:

The charcoal canister does become saturated with fuel in many cases. I've personally seen one,, that raw fuel was dumped out of,, and directed this fix to others,, who found the same...

guys, can I get some detailed instuctions on how to remove all CA smog crap please!!!

cal_tank.jpg

Disconnect canister at the tank,, connect vent line and run up and under seat.

Disconnect Purge hose at carb. Cap off the purge port.

Ride bike. Toss crap in garbage can :cry:

Ride bike. Toss crap in garbage can

Bronco, I'm a little confused.

Do I disconnect, then plug the rollover valve? and what do u mean when you say to connect the vent line and to run it up and under the seat? What is a vent line and where do u connect it to?

also, what would you suggest to use to plug the purge port after disconnecting the purge hose.?

<Ride bike. Toss crap in garbage can >

Look...better put it in a box and on a shelf just in case - just in case that is - CA starts bike emission inspections. With the nutty krap we already have in this state (C.A.R.B.!) I wouldn't be surprised if we have to start rolling our bikes in every two years like our cars. :cry:

Ride bike. Toss crap in garbage can

Bronco, I'm a little confused.

Do I disconnect, then plug the rollover valve? and what do u mean when you say to connect the vent line and to run it up and under the seat? What is a vent line and where do u connect it to?

also, what would you suggest to use to plug the purge port after disconnecting the purge hose.?

:cry: Disconnect the line from the canister AT THE TANK.. not the roll over valve,, at the tank.. then connect a length of vent line (any fuel hose that fits the nipple at the tank will work) and run that line a few inches to a spot under the seat. This is your new tank vent,,, if /when you fall over,, fuel will/may spill from that vent a bit, until you pick your bike up. That is the reason to add the vent line and move the opening away from the bottom of the tank.

Plug the purge port with a vacuum cap,, Pick um up at any auto supply store.

I seriously doubt CA is ever going to test bikes made currently. bikes made in a couple of years maybe.

<Ride bike. Toss crap in garbage can >

Look...better put it in a box and on a shelf just in case - just in case that is - CA starts bike emission inspections. With the nutty krap we already have in this state (C.A.R.B.!) I wouldn't be surprised if we have to start rolling our bikes in every two years like our cars. :cry:

I valid concern,, One I would not get too wrapped up on,, but sure,,if ya have a place to store the parts,, Put um away for another day. :cry:

Typical California smog junk on the motor. We don't get the bike so we don't see the stuff they stick on your machines. We get 49 state bikes, California gets it's own junked up clogged up motorcycles. I hate even writing that but it's the truth. prairiedawg :cry::cry: