Sign in to follow this  

Burned or Bronco, question on tight exhaust valve

When i originally checked my valves after getting my bike a year ago the valves were all in spec. I didn't have the knowledge of your wisdom at that time so I didn't write down the numbers but remembered they were in the middle of the range.

I was going over a quad a I had recently bought and adjusting the valves, checked the wifes bikes and thought I would go ahead and check my DRZ again as well.

I am kind of pissed. Both of my intakes are no go at .127 and go at .102

My left exhaust is no go at .203 and moderate to hard drag at .178

My right exhaust is dragging at .203

I know i will need to drop one size on the intake shims and the right exhaust to get back to the middle of the range with out going over. But that left intake will take 2 shim sizes and is well under spec. :cry: I have been very regular (most would say anal retentive) with maintenance but wasn't concerned about the valves moving that much in a year.

It seems to me that the valves should not be moving that much with the kind of riding that I do. I am wondering if this should be a warranty issue, especially with the left exhaust. :cry:

Mosts of my valve movement happened from 8 to 13,000 miles, nothing since. during that time frame 3 valves have been moved one shim size, the right exhaust has been moved two shim sizes, all can just sneak a mid spec feeler gauge in them., Checked at 23k

your in spec accept for that one, although they are a little tight

Both of my intakes are no go at .127 and go at .102

My left exhaust is no go at .203 and moderate to hard drag at .178

My right exhaust is dragging at .203

Without knowing what shims are in there now,, you do not really know what you will need.. Remember OEM shims come in 1/2 sizes.

Check the shim size now,, do the math..

Change shims,, and check again every pre ride for a few months,, See if they move,, If they do,, you know valves are in the future.

Ex do not often recede :cry: Mostly it's the intakes.