Sign in to follow this  

CRF230/250X : compare maintenence

Hello

Here's my situation. I'm 17, 5'8, 130lb and I have a 03' XR100 and a 04' CRF230. I love my 230 but after a year, i'm looking for a more reacting and lighter bike. The thing is, I live in a farm with a wood and a dirt pit, anything I could ask for. :cry:

Then again, 100% of my ride time is at home. I just go out of the house, pull out the bike and ride, it fast and easy, maby too easy. I know the XR and 230 are maintenece less, all I do is chage oil every 1/2 year and clean the air filter when needed. Its realy nothing. :cry:

Now, I know the CRF250X is kind of a race bike and have a lot of valve problems. I'm not a race mecanic and didn't even open my 230's motor. Why would I do such thing? Actualy, my XR100 need a valve job but that an other story. :cry:

Anyway, Now that you know my story, my question is: Do the CRF250X need that much of attention compare to the 230 and will she be a pain in the ass to me? :cry:

Thank you

There are two main differences in regular maintenance:

- The 250X needs it's oil changed more frequently. This will depend on how hard and long you ride it. Some change it every other ride. I do only recreational riding, so I don't change nearly that often. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year. For me, that works out to about every 15-20 hours.

- The 250X needs the valves checked regularly. There is a good sticky post that teaches you how to do this. I haven't checked mine yet, but I plan on checking them as soon as I pull the bike out of winter storage. Some people have no problems, and others go through valves very quickly. The harder you ride the bike, the more wear and tear you will cause.

But the 250X is way more fun to ride than the 230. The 230 is fun to putt around on, but the X is a super-dirt bike!

Alright put it this way, the most intense maintenance you'll probably ever have to do on your 230 is change the oil and air filter. The tires, chains and sprockets tend to last a long time due to the mellow power of the 230. Those things are SOLID. On the other hand, you'll have to change the oil, filter, check/adjust valves, do top ends, chains, sprockets, tires. I used to have a 230, but let me tell you, it just didn't cut it for MX. I needed the power and suspension of the 250. The extra maintenance doesn't really bother me. If what your seeking is a fun trail bike that will last forever, go with the CRF230F you'll be plenty happy with alot more money sitting in your pocket after its all said and done. Good luck !

If what your seeking is a fun trail bike that will last forever, go with the CRF230F you'll be plenty happy with alot more money sitting in your pocket after its all said and done. Good luck !

Oh, sorry. I alredy have a CRF230 for 1 year now, and i'm seeking for somthing new. :cry:

And for the valve cheking thing, is it a big deal or is it somthing easy and quikly done?

not to be a jerk, but do a search with the word valve in this forum and you will find all the information on this topic that you will ever want to read. (polls, surveys, ride reviews, etc, etc, and etc)

And for the valve cheking thing, is it a big deal or is it somthing easy and quikly done?

I check mine every 3-4 rides. Overkill, but I needed to find out for myself if there was a valve issue on MY bike with MY riding style. (or lack of style) They have not changed a bit. Hecklers post made it easy, the first time it took me 30 - 45 minutes. Now I can get it done in 20 - 30 minutes.

If you are looking for a bike you can abuse all day, put it away for 6 weeks and take it out to abuse it again. This may not be the bike. I needs a little more attention, but it pays that attention back in spades.

I don't race, I use it for enthusiastic trail riding. I have between 1200 - 1500 miles on the bike with no problems.

YMMV

RTFM :cry:

Bill

Thanks for the help, I'l go check the post. :cry:

I dont think I abuse my bike that much, just riding my field, do a couple of jump in my pit. It also trasport me where I need it when I work. And I also dont ride my bike every 6 week, more like every day, exept now, in winter. :cry: