Sign in to follow this  

Tiny-Tach install.......where put RPM wire?

Just got a Tiny-Tach for my 05. Its says to wrap red RPM pick up wire next to spark plug wire. I see to wires going to plug a black and a red. Should I wrap the red to the red? Is that the right one? I told a friend about what it looks like and he said it may not work since he thinks the coil is ON the spark plug hence no spark plug wire per say. Anyone else put one of these on?

Hope I can get it to work.....Tach on board would be sweet!

Also just got an IMS 3.4 gal tank and am putting it on........kit did not come with hose clamps for the x-flow line between the too sides of the tank..........worth getting a couple for it? Already put some teflon on the 90 deg valves but I want to make DAMN sure that thing is not leaking under me!

Have not put tank on bike but so far it looks pritty nice. Ready to put it on after I disconnect grey wire......

THat is an inductive pickup unit. You do not have a spark plug wire. You will need to try all the wires one at a time going into the cap connection to see if it will work off one of them.

Even then, you may not get the tach feature on that unit, just the hour meter.

Just got a Tiny-Tach for my 05. Its says to wrap red RPM pick up wire next to spark plug wire. I see to wires going to plug a black and a red. Should I wrap the red to the red? Is that the right one? I told a friend about what it looks like and he said it may not work since he thinks the coil is ON the spark plug hence no spark plug wire per say. Anyone else put one of these on?

You have to wrap the wire around your plug cap... I only use my tach for setting RPM and tuning the fuel screw. I'm not sure how to make it stay.

However, I'm confident that there are more than a few people that could give you some adivice on that as well. :cry:

That is correct, wrap the wire around the cap 2-3 times and then zip-tie it in place. It will not work if you wrap the RPM wire around the 2 wires coming into the spark plug cap.

Cheers,