Sign in to follow this  

Tank question

The tank on my xr100 is leaking out from between the metal of the petcock and the plastic of the tank. I think the tank is warped or something no matter how hard i tighten it ,it still leaks... what should i use is there a good sealent that resists gasoline break down? any info is good

Garrett :cry:

A lot of times on anything that leaks, you need to plane the surface to kinda re-mate the two surfaces. Get a flat piece of steel, or a level and hold it up to the bottom of the tank. If it wobbles or you can see light through it - it's gonna need to be planed.

Take a flat steel file (Home Depot/Lowes) and LIGHTLY go along the bottom of the tank, until it's flat again. This can be done with sand paper - but be really careful since sand paper is more likely to conform to the tank, instead of making it true and flat. Also, make sure the petcock isn't messed up.

As far as a gasket sealer ... I'm sure that Permatex has got to have something that could help ya. Go to AutoZone, Pep Boys, or whatever and ask them. You could also buy some cork gasket material and cut it out to the shape you need. I believe there is a rubber O-ring in the petcock too ... make sure it's there!

Good luck - those fuel sealing issues suck! :cry:

yeah th 0-ring is ok but im gunna go to auto store and ask them thanks alot for the info :cry: