Sign in to follow this  

1984 xr250r restoration

ok i purchased an 1984 xr250r today for 100$can for my dad.so needless to say it needs work but i want to present it to him in mint condition. we've never rode together and now he's 52 and about time he started. moms gonna be pissed but to bad.So apon first visual inspection the olny thing its missing is the carb and some choke looking mechanism on the top right side of motor, its half there. The motor strokes fine and gearbox works fine. Front suspension sloppy but rear seems fine with no play. Brakes work good, is disc front drum rear.Last known use of the bike it worked great just someone played with the carb and now its gone. I know the first step is gettin a manual but i would like to hear from everyone about anything on this bike. Frames mint wheels are mint. I'll spend whatever it takes to go on just one ride with him and im starting tonight. I'll have many ?'s over the next few weeks .Im a rookie at all this. Anyhow thanks for any advise in advance.

Cool. I just bought an 85 xr350 a few weeks back. Trying to glean whatever info I can on these good ole bikes.

Watch ebay for manuals. i watch it for parts too. There are guys parting out al the time.

If it's the decompression lever stuff you can take the cable off as you'll never need it.

The lever on the head is the decomp.

Carbs are gonna be expensive for a good set. Watch ebay. I wouldnt sink too much money into it. Take some pics so we can see what kind of shape its in.

These bikes are notorious for running hot and frying the head/valves. If you can find a set of carbs cheap then make sure to run good synthetic motorcycle oil. Its really not a great beginner bike for tight stuff, it needs to be ridden at a brisk pace or it will get hot. If your dad is just going to be riding fire roads then it will be fine.

open the valv cover and crank it over a few times see if valves operate properly. ck compression, igntion spark, does it shift through all gears? post pics

Looks better than I expected. :cry:

If it has good compression and shifts fine then I'd find a good set of carbs on ebay, slap them on and be done with it.

picked up my carb today for 150$ and a air filter basket 10$ and a chain for 32$. I now need a clutch cable and piece that connects from carb to motor. I'm gonna throw some oil in the cylinder and check the valves and compression

It looks as though the insulater (BETWEEN CARB AND ENGINE) is on the head already. I just purchased one new from hONDA for $50. You might want to replace it anyway, chances are it is old and brittle Dont need any cracks/leaks at that point.

You keep saying carb. Is it a dual carb, cuz the 84-86 XR and 84-87 XL had dual carbs.

Looks as though the auto decomp (right side of engine) is all there. The cable that runs from it is all there.

If you ever come across a used head in good condition swipe it up. It took me over a year to find one I would purchase to complete my project. Wish I had a spare cuz these bikes are known to run hot. The dual carb fire pumper makes em run hot. Extra power = extra heat.

ya your right its dual carbs . and I'll check with my wrecker i think he has an extra head.I'll price it out and pick it up if i can. Good idea thanks ! the project continues.

The other day there was an 84 head on ebay for $50 Buy in Now. If I had 50 bux I woulda bought it already.

I bet someone bought it already though. EDIT: yea its gone.

Ohh yea and if you find an intake manifold thats cracked, let me know. The aluminum has to be intact though.

I had a cracked intake manifold (insulator) and all that is left is the metal. All the plastic was so brittle it fell apart.

I may still have the metal if you want it.

It looks as though the insulater (BETWEEN CARB AND ENGINE) is on the head already. I just purchased one new from hONDA for $50. You might want to replace it anyway, chances are it is old and brittle Dont need any cracks/leaks at that point.

You keep saying carb. Is it a dual carb, cuz the 84-86 XR and 84-87 XL had dual carbs.

t.

My 85 350 is single carb, did they stay with duals longer on the 250?

Sorta. The dual carbed 250 and 350 models lasted 2 years, but the 350 was for 83/84 and the 250 was for 84/85 (86 has a single carb). They contined the dual carb XL for another 2 years. The XR600 has duals until 87 IIRC.

So, you are going to weld a single port onto the dual port? What do you shave off (or is the single carb shorter?) to make the carb fit with airbox and all connected?

I will look tonight on the work bench to see if I can locate the metal piece. Where will I be shipping to?

Other than tuning, what's wrong with the duals. You don't think the increase in power is worth the dual carb headache? I wouldn't know the difference, just heard the dual fire breathers were the shiznit during their day.

I'm going to shave down part of the dual carb manifold. Honestly I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to do it, I havent gotten that far. I've still been looking for a spare manifold so I dont have to cut up the only one I have.

The problem with the duals is the massive flat spot off the bottom. Up top they work great, but its a real bear to loft the front wheel at any speed. I'm going with a Keihin FCR 37 pumper carb. Its big enough that I shouldnt lose anything up top (in fact I'd rather have a 35, but I would have had to basically pay full price for one).

You're going to be shipping to San Luis Obispo. When you find it let me know how much the shipping is going to be and I will paypal you the money for shipping.