Sign in to follow this  

95 Klx 650 Electrical Problem?

Hi Guys.

I have an 95 Stroker KLX 650 I bought used last October. It had been stored and run once in a while for last 4 years. New top end job after the Baja 2000 in January 01. Engine only upgrades are a Stroker piston 12:1, a KOR rewound ignition (KLR 650 wound out to 3- 100 watt leads), UNI air filter and a White brothers E line header and end pipe with 2 washers between each disc and jetted for sea level. Here is my problem.

First bought the bike and took it straight out to Ocotillo Wells in So Calif. desert to test it out. Right away it would only run to 1/4 throttle. After that it spit and coughed, like "4 stroking". It felt loaded up and would never clean out. I took apart the carb and didn't find anything wrong, such as old fuel would leave. I was running fresh 92 octane fuel. I tried the bike again and it still wouldn't turn past 1/4 throttle. Original owner said it was jetted and geared to be run fast in wilds of Baja from sea level to 3,000 feet. I took out the double washers and tried first single washers and then no washers at all. Always the same, nothing past 1/4 throttle without cutting out and 4 stroking like it was rich. Plug reading was fine, but lots of black soot around discs on exhaust.

I took it to local Kaw shop to be jetted, expecting that to be the problem. They said no, jetting not the issue. The stator was bad and not providing constant spark. I had had Ben at BD install a kit in it to street legal it and took it back to him. The on/off switch had a short which he fixed and it started right up.

I took it back to Kawasaki shop to be jetted again. This time they said Stator was fine, BUT perhaps the CDI was bad or the plug wires needed replacing or combination. They started it for me in the lot and reved it up. Same thing, just past 1/4 throttle it cut out and ran, back and forth.

This is where I have stopped. To try the CDI idea, I have to agree to pay for it whether it is the problem or not.

Have any of you KLX owners experienced this and do you have any ideas? I'm on the road now, but will be home Feb 10th to try some more ideas. Thanks. I really want to try this bike out as it has KX suspension front and rear from Kawasaki race days in Baja.

Stephen

I found out it was a bad CDI unit. Can't belive there isn't any guys here that know about electrics? Anyway, problem fixed and back to cruising Baja.