Sign in to follow this  

Removing water seal without removing case

I'v read that many of you have replaced the water seal without removing the right hand case. What is the procedure to get the old seal out? Mine seems to be very tight in the case.

If I can remember, use a small screwdriver that can wedge into the outercup and pull it out. I'm pretty sure you ruin the seal but who cares, your replacing it! Hope this helps :cry:

I tried using a very small screw driver but couldn't get a grip on it. I'll try using a larger screw driver pressing against the outside of the seal and staying away from the shaft. If this doesn't work, I'll remove the righthand case cover and do it the right way.

You can drill a small hole in it so to can grab it with a scribe or screwdriver. You can also thread a woodscrew in it and grab it with pliers.

You can drill a small hole in it so to can grab it with a scribe or screwdriver. You can also thread a woodscrew in it and grab it with pliers.

This screw method works pretty well on shifter seals as well. But be carefull if you use a scribe. My buddy was changing a KTM counter shaft seal and broke the tip of the scribe off inside the seal. :cry: I brought my seal puller over and we got the seal out. But we had a hell of a time as we could not find the broken tip in the roller bearing behind the seal. We finaly got really lucky using a magnet and retrieved the tip out from between the bearing and the cases. :cry: