2005 WR250 top speed

Checkin out the WR250's and I'm curious on how fast they those wheels will spin. I was out in the garage today and one zipped by my house at what looked and sounded like 60. I know the guy that owns it and is very private about his bikes and his cats. He's a wierd guy but can ride like a bat outta hell, I've asked to ride his WR and always responds with a monosyllabic answers. No, no, no, meh, no, ya, no, no, no, and no. He won't even tell me how fast it goes or how much torque/horsepower it has; he works at a bike repair shop with a dyno machine and still won't tell me how much power he squeked out of his bike which doesn't look like Yamaha manufactured it.

How fast have you guys gone? Are they a good candidate for dual sporting?

How fast have you guys gone?

By the book, with the free mods, pinned in 5th it's capable of about 85.

YZ tops out at about 65 (give or take a few)

Are they a good candidate for dual sporting?

There's a difference between capable and comfortable.

If your highway use doesn't exceed 40-50mph, then no problem. It gets pretty uncomfortable above that, and you don't want to use it for a weekend road trip.

The seat was not designed for extended sit-down runs.

• 2 weeks later...

It is sold street-legal in Australia, and you can get it plated for DS in the US in states that aren't overrun with enviro-tards.

I agree with you though, the wide ratio trans is great, but there's a HUGE drop from 4th to 5th. I love the granny low, but 5th is way too tall, especially in comparison with 4th.

I wouldn't mind having a bigger rear sprocket to bring it down a bit, but that would drop all of the gears and still not change that drop going into 5th.

• 4 years later...

on my 2008 wr250f i have got to 146km/h flat out thats 90.7miles/h no bulshit.

thats with all the free mods (all exaust baffles out, airbox, throttle stop and grey wire) and the dealer fitted larger jets.

on my 2008 wr250f i have got to 146km/h flat out thats 90.7miles/h no bulshit.

thats with all the free mods (all exaust baffles out, airbox, throttle stop and grey wire) and the dealer fitted larger jets.

Check your speedometer calibration against a GPS.

They may have changed the gearing on the new models, but the '04-'06 hit the rev limiter at 85 (I've been there a few times).

Motorcycle speedometers are notorious for reading higher than actual. Friend had an '06 DRZ400SM and he was following me at 70 on the freeway... he swore that I was pushing 80. My Vulcan 1600 streetbike reads 10% high... 90mph on the speedo is 81 on the GPS.