Sign in to follow this  

Removing cylinder head. Quick Q.

Those 4 bolts on the inside, are they supposed to be really tight? I was turning on one quite hard and it didn't budge. I didn't want to break anything, so I ask now. Check out the bottom pic and caption in this screenshot (sorry about the size)

clip_image002.jpg

It says:

"Before loosening the cylinder head bolts, loosen the cylinder head bolts (6mm) and cylinder base nuts."

Are the 6mm bolts the ones on the outside of the head?

Aha! Something just made sense to me. Maybe.

Are the 6mm bolts the ones on the outside of the head?
Yes the loosen the bolts outside the head first.

The 4 cylinder bolts can be kinda tight. Use a 6 sided socket with 3/8in extension and an adapter for 1/2in ratchet works well for me.....

Helps to hold the ratchet and "hit it" on the end to crack them loose and get them started. Be not afraid.

Actually those nuts are still on the head, but yes they are not in the cam area. They are along the side as shown in the third pic down :cry:

OK, cylinder has been removed and shipped off to Millenium.

I did a "hard" break-in when I got the bike; lots of long, upper gear pulls with plenty of engine breaking and then an oil change after about 50Km. The cylinder wall was beautiful and so is the piston below the rings.

Now, above the rings and inside the head, it's pretty damn black. I'm talking like a Wesley Snipes kinda black. Is that from the accel pump? The splug was a nice tan color on the very end, but black around the base. What can I use to clean the head before I put it back together?

Either have it hot tanked or you can use a combination of contact cleaner followed by soap and water. Of course much elbow grease will be required with the second option. Hard deposits might require the use of a soft wire brush on a die grinder to get off.

valve.jpg

Does the black crap look like this? Some carbon junk is normal but it should be relatively easy to remove. But if its shiny and black and super hard like what was on this valve.....

It is its gonna be a pain. Wire brush is what I used. Lots and lots.

I think it was from over oiling my air filter and it burned some of that crappy air filter oil inside.... Yuk. Or it could be that it came from the oil breather box. Which is connected to the airboot on the S.

Upgraded to FCR and it isn't hooked up like that on the airboot. Anyways I also run a small amount of VP C12 race gas in each tank per a members suggestion to keep carbon from building at all.

Thanks for the pic. It's not that bad. Jus wondering if it's normal. I've got the FCR already.