Sign in to follow this  

steering neck bearings

I bought an 01 drz 400. It had less than 100 miles on it. Absolutely spotless. After riding approx. 80 miles, the lower steering neck bearing started to sieze. Upon removal, I noticed that the bottom bearing was rusted and had practically no grease. The top bearing had a little grease and showed no signs of wear. Does the factory not pack them well, or do you think this is a fluke? My buddy just bought a new 03 and was wondering if he needs to check his. We kinda think the guy I bought the bike from was a fan of pressure washers. By the way, Suzuki and the internet all want around $33-$38 a set for these. I ordered two from Miller Bearing for $17/set. :cry: They seem to be able to find almost any bearing you could need.

They only have a thin smear on them from the factory

It would be easy to fill the head stem up with water using

A pressure washer

no fluke.they come with little or no grease.

new bike should be torn down and greased (steering head,swing arm and linkage)or the result is what your experiencing.

Good luck with your repair.

As Burned said they come with little or no grease.

Check this out when making you repair.

http://www.pbase.com/corky1/stem_bearings

Corky :cry::cry:

I see in the link they covered the hole in the steering stem for the lock. I was looking at mine and I think I will plug the bottom hole of the stem, that way the lock will still work (although I have never used it). With a high pressure washer I can see how water could still get in through and around the lock mechanism.

You are better off greaing them yourself at least a couple times a year if you ride much. If you ride a lot and pressur wash you have to do it more often. I don't pressure wash my bike. I use a squirt bottle filled 50/50 with hot water and Green. That is strong enough for anything you can get into just let it sit for about 10 minutes after you spray it on they use a garden hose to rinse. I don't even stivk my thumb over it. My bike comes out 90% of the time spotless. prairiedawg :cry: