Sign in to follow this  

Clearance issues with chain guide

I'm running 14 x 47 dirt gearing on my S model and with the stock guide it has worn the bottom of the chain flat. I am getting ready to replace the chain and sprockets and I plan on going up to a 48 in the rear.

I bought a guide from Moose (a repackaged Freddette by BTW) and it has the same clearance as stock. So I figured I would just use the wear blocks from the new guide and make new side plates. So who knows how tight the clearance should be. Am I clear enough on this?

Check your front chain slider too, the 14tooth changes the arc and wears it quicker. I've seen some post in the area of the pivot point of the swingarm it will wear all the way through to the metal unnoticed.

I have have a 14 tooth C/S sprocket but I am running the stock 44 tooth in the rear of my S. The reasoning is I wanted a little higher top end for short blasts on the highway. I am wondering does anyone think that this arrangement will wear through the chain guides fast do the different angle of the chain ? :cry: I do notice a difference from stock with this set-up, does any one else run this combo? Not to sound stupid but is there any reason that this combo is not good for the bike or performace :cry:

90% of the guys out there are running 14 tooth(so not an issue to most), the 15 is a wider arc though, and more straight angle coming off that slider.

Although mx bikes I'd get a couple years out of the sliders front rear). The 14 tooth is probably good for about 15,000 miles, or atleast that's where the last guy I saw who posted noticed it was worn clear through to the swingarm metal.

I've got much higher miles, but always ran the 15

14 x 47 is standard on the E hear

im currently running 14 x 50

witch is about the limit on the stock guide rubbers

have a look to see if the part numbers are the same for the E & S guide blocks

pd