Sign in to follow this  

Another Octane question 04' S

Since buying bike I've almost always run premium gas, with the exception of maybe two or three tanks in the beginning. After running dry on the super-slab yesterday on my way home from work, filled up with regular (Wal-Mart/Murphy). Now maybe it is my imagination or a combination of having a full tank plus the temperature dropping 10 degrees, but the bike sure seemed to move out a lot faster, idled higher, seemed snappier. I commute nearly every day so I spend at least 30 minutes a day on it, so am attuned to how everything normally feels and sounds. My S is 100% stock, so far.

So, is the 93 octane gas from Wal-Mart crudding up the engine with carbon deposits? More importantly, wouldn't less of the fuel combust, due to the low compression, generating less force? Why does everyone run a higher octane if the engine compression isn't spec'd high enough to benefit from it? Am I right in thinking this falls into the category of the consumer wanting to do something "good" but in reality doing nothing and even maybe decreasing performance?

You have learned what many of us have been trying to tell people all along.

Using more octane then is required does not gain you performance...and it can actually hurt performance.

The higher the octane rating the slower it combusts. The reason higher octane might be required is when you have an evironment that causes the fuel to combust early and spontaneously...causing pings (aka...pre-ignition).

If your bike runs well on regular...you are just wasting money...and possible efficiency by running premium.

So long as your getting clean water free gas.. Your S will run just fine on regular unleaded.

It does not need a higher octane fuel.

Does you area use ethanol in the fuel?? is it all locations? Sometins it's town to town,,county to county.. The non ethanol fuels have always seemed to work better for me.

Not sure how Wal-Mart/Murphy does their octane ratings, but I fee safe in saying that what ever is cheaper, i.e. ethanol, that's what they do.

I thought that I needed the higher octane for the "S" model also, but was out of gas, and stopped at a pump that only had ethenol for some reason, so I decided to fill it up anyway. I thought after riding on the trails for a while that the bike was running better, but figured it was due to the temperature and humidity differences of the day and had nothing to due with the fuel.

I have read different articles about gasoline octane vs gasonline/ethenol octane, and it sounds a lot like which "oil" should I run. There are different articles going each way. My guess would be as long as you are not having problems with detonation, you can run the lower octane gasoline or gasoline/ethenol mixes.

My E needs premium.

My K needs race fuel mixed 50/50 with premium It's built by burned with 13.5 compression and a 440 in it.

Your S will get by on regular unleaded or 87 octane.

Don't pay for more than your motor needs it isn't going to make more power because of it and it will gum up the top of your piston after a while. prairiedawg :cry: