Sign in to follow this  

Used XR250..what to look for.

I'm going to look at a used 2003 XR250 this afternoon. Any tips on what to be on the lookout for when inspecting the bike to make sure it is in good condition? thanks

Off the top of my head...

1. Take a look in the airbox. If the filter is caked w/dirt, and if the inside of the airbox has a ton of dirt on it, chances are the owner was sloppy with other maintenance as well. This is not necessarily a deal-killer, but beware, and check everything else even MORE carefully.

2. Grab opposite sides of the rear wheel and push w/one hand and pull /w the other and then alternate pushing/pulling between the 2 hands... There should be no play or slop. The wheel should not move back and forth. If it does, the bearings are bad. If you can't fix it yourself, it will cost you some bucks to have done.

There's a lot more you can check. The other XR guys will add to this I'm sure.

Look for a bike that is well taken care of vs thrashed.

The oil should not look like black goo.

Look for corrosion and rust from being stored in the backyard.

Make sure the bike runs well.

Push the wheels sideways, look for play in the bearings.

Same with the swing arm.

XR's are slightly more breakable than a hammer.

Three things off the top.

Feel if the bike is warm, did the owner run it up to temp before you got there?

XR's can be finicky starters, more so when cold. Just don't let the owner hide anything.

Ask about maint. Air, oil filters, oil changes and valve checks. If he says "What air filter?" then be wary

Pull the seat off the bike, look at the welds on the subframe, they tend to crack at the front if the bike has been jumped hard (bring your tool kit)

I also like to bring a bike lift (or milk crate) and put the bike up, then spin the wheels, make sure the bearings are not crunchy :cry:

a couple things i like to do

look closely at subframe under motor,

look at the color and smell of the oil,

check these areas as well

plug , air filter, wheel bearings , brakes

look at the shifter and kickstarter levers , odds are if its a low mileage unit the kick will not have any slop in it and the shifter toe piece will be much the same .

Take it out for a spin bring it up to speed on the road and let go of the bars and see if it tracks straight, there is nothing worse than a tweaked T clamp or fork tube

A dead giveway of the casual rider is the original Honda plastic handguards ,

yikes!

start the bike i, if it fires up inside of 3 kicks its good to go.

Genarally you can tell a few things by the seller,

more questions that come to mind

ask techincal questions, did you adjust your valves , when the last time the fork oil was changed ,any clutch problems? key things like that automatically change the category of seller .He either knows or does'nt.

Buying a XR250 is generally not a huge problem,

good luck

stu

These are all good things to look for on a used bike, however I don't think anyone can trash an XR to the point of wearing out bearings in one year, you did say it was a 2003.

I know a guy who has a 2000 XR2.5 and he has never greased anything on it and he continues to ride it. It's all scratched up and wore. :cry:

You can tell how much it was ridden by the wear on the frame above both foot pegs especially on the shifter side.

Ask him what oil he uses and how often he changed it.

Starting problems can be adjusted away.

A 2003 XR will probably be in good shape.

Thanks for all the tips. Went and looked at the bike and it was in immaculate condition so I brought it home with me. Just a few scratches in the plastic but thats about it. I'm now a proud owner of an XR250. i'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions in the future so be patient with a newbie. Thanks again. :cry:

Cool Ausome! Good on ya mate! :cry:

Welcome to Thumpertalk and the XR family! :cry:

Have Fun! :cry: