Sign in to follow this  

Reassembling the engine

Not completely, I only replaced the cam chain.

Now I want to reassemble it, and I was wondering if I have to lube the cams and journals with regular oil or something else?

And when done that, do I just fill it with coolant, oil, push the magic button and pray she gets all her fluids in time at the right places? :cry:

I don't want my engine to seize, I hope you can understand that :cry:

I asked the same question on z400central, got some opinions, but I insist on getting even more opinions so I don't mess things up. This is my first time you know :cry:

tnx! :cry:

The book calls for the use of "molly paste" on the cams.... I'll tell ya that good, new oil has always worked well for me. I have some Assembly lube on the shelf,, and have used it a few times,, when I think the bike will sit for awhile before start up,, But if it is assembly and go,, nothing but oil.

If new cams are put in service I'd use suzuki recommended moly paste.If used

I'd use motorcycle specific engine oil.I'd hate to think what a good meaning

auto techs comp cams moly paste would to do to your clutch pack :cry:

If new cams are put in service I'd use suzuki recommended moly paste.If used

I'd use motorcycle specific engine oil.I'd hate to think what a good meaning

auto techs comp cams moly paste would to do to your clutch pack :cry:

New or used cams,, no difference.. If your starting the motor op that day, or the next,, use oil.. If it will set,, a LIGHT smearing of assembly lube might be called for.

Your going to change the oil just a few minutes after start up anyway.. so what little molly from the cams might get in to the oil,, and circulate is not that big a deal.. Or at least in 20 years,, has not proven to be one for me.

tnx a lot!!! :cry:

Your going to change the oil just a few minutes after start up anyway...

Will I? :cry::cry:

I will be putting new oil and new coolant in it, but should I put fresh oil right after start up? :cry:

There's nothing to break in imho, I just changed the cam chain. Or am I forgetting something?

EDIT: oh you mean you should change oil after running in new cams, I think I get it.

tnx!

tnx a lot!!! :cry:

Will I? :cry::cry:

I will be putting new oil and new coolant in it, but should I put fresh oil right after start up? :cry:

There's nothing to break in imho, I just changed the cam chain. Or am I forgetting something?

EDIT: oh you mean you should change oil after running in new cams, I think I get it.

tnx!

Yes,, after the cams are run in,, SO a nice 20 minute blast... and I would pull it back into the shop, drain, inspect the oil, and dump 2 qt of new stuff in,, also cleaning (or changing) the filter too.

Anytime I've had my motor down to the cases,, or swap in a new hard part.. The oil is going to be changed after 20 minutes or so. Not only do you have the particles from break-in.. But if dirt or other contaminates got in the motor while it was open,,, You can be sure to get rid of them now. Use the less $$ MC rated Dino oil for that break in if you did rings... Or less $$ Syn oil otherwise.

Ya it's a few more bucks..but worth it IMHO

thanks! :cry:

That sounds like a very good idea Bronco. Damn yer good :cry:

I'll send my bike to you, 200% headache free :cry:

thanks! :cry:

That sounds like a very good idea Bronco. Damn yer good :cry:

I'll send my bike to you, 200% headache free :cry:

OK,, But,,,Umm, I will have to take a "check Ride" on it before I send it back.. Got my reputation to watch out for,, Must make sure the job is done right.

2 Month turnaround I would say.. from you to me and back :cry:

Deal! :cry::cry:

But remember, mine has 4 wheels, and the manual says they all must stay on the ground, shiny side up! :cry:

Hm, well I can learn :cry:

I once rode a Honda three wheeler... But My big brother made me get off after I ran it into a tree :cry: Do I qualify :cry:

:cry::cry: