Sign in to follow this  

1 year old brake fuid - still any good?

I have a bottle of brake fluid that I opened about a year ago. It has been on the shelf ever since. Is it still good enough to use (for recreational riding), or has it gone bad? :cry:

Toss it. It has absorbed as much moisture as what is in your brake system in a year.

Ifffffffffffffff.. If it was in a steel container,,,If, it had a tight seal,If there was little to NO air space in the container,, then it would be ok,,,,,, If any of the above is not true,, dump,, and buy a new bottle. Try the newer DOT 5.1.... great stuff. :cry:

(((If it was in a steel container,,,If, it had a tight seal,If there was little to NO air space in the container,, then it would be ok))

Having seen racefuel steel containers sitting out in the night air at the race track, condensation inside the steel tank happens frequently. I saw the with my own eyes from the track owners own son when his bike was hiccuping. He drained the carb and it looked like milk.

I asked where he got the fuel, he didn't want to say.

You can probably understand why.

I'd put better odds on the plastic bottle sealed sitting in the garage, If I had to bet.

Your HOnor

(((If it was in a steel container,,,If, it had a tight seal,If there was little to NO air space in the container,, then it would be ok))

Having seen racefuel steel containers sitting out in the night air at the race track, condensation inside the steel tank happens frequently. I saw the with my own eyes from the track owners own son when his bike was hiccuping. He drained the carb and it looked like milk.

I asked where he got the fuel, he didn't want to say.

You can probably understand why.

I'd put better odds on the plastic bottle sealed sitting in the garage, If I had to bet.

Your HOnor

Spud,, you can do what ya want..

But please,,,, if your going to comment on my post,, read and reply to the whole post..

I said in part

If it was in a steel container,,,If, it had a tight seal,If there was little to NO air space in the container,, then it would be ok,,,,,, If any of the above is not true,, dump,, and buy a new bottle.

The container type makes no difference if there is air space, or a bad seal.. The steel container does not breath,,, as the plastic container can :cry: So the the steel container in the above situation is better. In any case,, as If the container has been opened,, it has air space.. If it has air space in the container,, and has been on the shelf a year or more,, Dump it :cry:

Or do what ya want,,, I'll just go around as your brakes fade :cry:

hey bronco, 5.1 mixes okay with minute traces of leftover 4 correct?

cheers

droo

(((Spud,, you can do what ya want..)))

Okay , I missed that if full part.

Don't you like when people say to each their own?

I Never really liked that>G<

Your way is more blunt>G<

(((Spud,, you can do what ya want..)))

Okay , I missed that if full part.

Don't you like when people say to each their own?

I Never really liked that>G<

Your way is more blunt>G<

I figured that's all it was

:cry:

When I can,, I use the right tool,, When I can, I replace; not repair, When I can I use the better part over the exceptable part, .. When I cant, due to time, availability or money.. I can fab, rig, make due with the best of um :cry: And there is not a thing wrong with that.. Ya do what you have to do, to finish the job :cry:

YEs, no issue :cry:

great, thought so, but it never hurts to triple check when it comes to brakes. :cry:

Bronco, I have not heard of 5.1, what makes it better than 4?

Does it withstand heat and water absorption better?.

Bronco, I have not heard of 5.1, what makes it better than 4?

Does it withstand heat and water absorption better?.

From another post of mine.

Oh and I use Motul 5.1... Seems to be avaliable in the better shops.

DOT3

DOT3 brake fluid is the "conventional" brake fluid used in most vehicles.

Advantages:

DOT3 fluid is inexpensive.

Disadvantages:

DOT3 fluid eats paint!

DOT3 fluid absorbs water very readily. (This is often referred to as being hydroscopic.) As such, once a

container of DOT3 has been opened, it should not be stored for periods much longer than a week before use.

Since DOT3 fluid absorbs water, any moisture absorbed by the fluid can encourage corrosion in the brake lines

and cylinders.

DOT4

DOT4 brake fluid is the brake fluid suggested for use in some late model cars.

Advantages:

DOT4 fluid is available at most auto parts stores, and at some (but not all) gas stations or department stores.

DOT4 fluid does not absorb water as readily as DOT3 fluid.

DOT4 fluid has a higher boiling point than DOT3 fluid, making it more suitable for high performance applications

where the brake systems are expected to get hot.

Disadvantages:

DOT4 fluid eats paint!

DOT4 fluid is generally about 50% more expensive than DOT3 fluid.

Since DOT4 fluid still absorbs some water, any moisture absorbed by the fluid can encourage corrosion in the

brake lines and cylinders.

DOT5

DOT5 brake fluid is also known as "silicone" brake fluid.

Advantages:

DOT5 doesn't eat paint.

DOT5 does not absorb water and may be useful where water absorption is a problem.

DOT5 is compatible with all rubber formulations. (See more on this under disadvantages, below.)

Disadvantages:

DOT5 does NOT mix with DOT3, DOT4 or DOT5.1. Most reported problems with DOT5 are probably due to some

degree of mixing with other fluid types. The best way to convert to DOT5 is to totally rebuild the hydraulic

system.

Reports of DOT5 causing premature failure of rubber brake parts were more common with early DOT5

formulations. This is thought to be due to improper addition of swelling agents and has been fixed in recent

formulations.

Since DOT5 does not absorb water, any moisture in the hydraulic system will "puddle" in one place. This can

cause localized corrosion in the hydraulics.

Careful bleeding is required to get all of the air out of the system. Small bubbles can form in the fluid that will form

large bubbles over time. It may be necessary to do a series of bleeds.

DOT5 is slightly compressible (giving a slightly soft feeling in the lever), and has a lower boiling point than DOT4.

DOT5 is about twice as expensive as DOT4 fluid. It is also difficult to find, generally only available at selected

auto parts stores.

DOT5.1

DOT5.1 is a relatively new brake fluid that is causing no end of confusion amongst mechanics. The DOT could avoid a

lot of confusion by giving this new fluid a different designation. The 5.1 designation could lead one to believe that it's a

modification of silicone-based DOT 5 brake fluid. Calling it 4.1 or 6 might have been more appropriate since it's a

glycol-based fluid like the DOT 3 and 4 types, not silicone-based like DOT 5 fluid.

As far as the basic behavior of 5.1 fluids, they are much like "high performance" DOT4 fluids, rather than traditional

DOT5 brake fluids.

Advantages:

DOT5.1 provides superior performance over the other brake fluids discussed here. It has a higher boiling point,

either dry or wet, than DOT 3 or 4. In fact, its dry boiling point (about 275 degrees C) is almost as high as racing

fluid (about 300 degrees C) and 5.1's wet boiling point (about 175 to 200 degrees C) is naturally much higher

than racing's (about 145 C).

DOT5.1 is compatible with all rubber formulations.

Disadvantages:

DOT 5.1 fluids (and Spectro's Supreme DOT4) are non-silicone fluids and will absorb water.

DOT 5.1 fluids, like DOT3 & DOT4 will eat paint.

DOT 5.1 fluids are difficult to find for sale, typically at very few auto parts stores, mostly limited to "speed shops."

DOT 5.1 will be more expensive than DOT3 or DOT4, and more difficult to find.

I use Motul Dot 3 racing fluid(300*) in my tengai for many years. The brake feel under normal conditions seemed to be a little better than with other fluid but the biggest difference is when I'm either loaded for travel or hauling a** down a mountain, it takes some serious heat to cause fade. In fact I have actually had the disc glowing more than once and still had some front brake, better than I could say for any other fluid I've used.