Sign in to follow this  

RMZ 450 Rear Shock Problems ?

Has anybody heard about a problem with the rebound on the shock?

I have a line up to buy one with 2 hours riding time on it, and the guy says there is a problem with the shock.

He assures me that Suzuki will stand behind it.

I was wondering if anybody else has expierienced this? :cry:

the only expierence with the rear shock i had is that it is very sensative to the sag setting. to much preload will make if feel like it rebounds to much and not enough preload will cause ill tracking by the bike. but it is a showa and there are a ton of stuff like valving or different spring rates available to tune to your riding. i weigh 220 and was able to achieve proper race sag with the stock spring and within its adjustable range.

Check out the link to CN. Apparently, their original test mule had a bad hs rebound circuit. I tt to my dealer the other day and he was unaware of this, but I heard from a Tucker rep that Suzuki is issuing a bulletin.

I'm assuming your're getting a great deal on the used RMZ. If so, I'd have your favorite suspension tech make sure both ends are set up for you.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=7101

Maybe the previous owner is refering to the Dirt Rider test where they say the bike is too senstive to clicker adjustments? I don't understand this, because I've always thought it to be nice if you turn a clicker and see a noticable change?

Isn't the RMZ running the same forks and shock as the CRF? As previous posters have said I'd send it off to someone to get it setup for you. I'm sure that now that the bikes are out a lot of tunners will be getting a handle on the RMZ's suspension.

If I had one, I'd probably try RG3 or a local shop that I trust.

Cheers,

Is there a way to check if the fluid level in the shock is full without tearing it down? I would swear mine leaked a little when I picked it up, but I havent seen anything coming out since then.

Mine is going to Fineline hopefully next week/the week after.

Hey Science, Thanks for the info. Thats just what I was looking for. :cry:

Ya I always send the suspension out to set it up for my riding style, but it never hurts to give your suspension guy the "heads up" with potential problems.

Thanks again. :cry:

Glad I could help.

I'm considering an RMZ 450, but have been keeping my eyes & ears open regarding anything to do w/this bike! I'm a little skeptical w/it being a first year model. Plus my '04 CRF has very little time on it.

To early to call it just yet. Hope the mags have tests next month!

The mags tend to be about 1-3 months behind so maybe the Cycle News bike was an early model or even a pre-production model to try and make a test. Just cause there bike had a missing spring in the shock doesn't mean the ones on the dealers floors will

Also its seems that it would be an easy test. If you turn the adjuster and nothing happens then your probably missing that spring.

Yea it will be interesting to see how it fairs in a head to head shootout.

Cheers,

I was informed buy my guys at Suzuki that out of the box the rebound settings (external adjuster,clicker) is out too many clicks.I beleive mine was 16-17. It needs to be put at 8-10 clicks out from bottom. My feeling is the rear spring is a little on the soft side,sag needs to be around 105mm, I'm 180# and put 3 turns of preload in it and got it to 110mm.

Too much preload on any shockspring will make it bouncey.I slid the forks up 2mm to compensate for the soft rear.It should be a 5.5kg rear spring.I'm gona try a 5.7 soon.This bike is awsome!

I seriously doubt the is a internal problem w/ more than one showa shock.I've riden mine pretty hard the last couple days and if there is some thing about the handling you don't like you can pretty much make adjustments and fix it.

FWIW, all the media types get the bikes for test days, first rides, long term test bikes, etc. at the same time. However, there is an embargo on releasing articles/tests until a specific date. If the mag or media source reports prior to this date, there is hell to pay. The mags are allways behind due to print lead times hence the embargo to make their info current, but they are all working from the production test fleet unless otherwise stated as a pre-pro or proto. Same way wether street or dirt.