Sign in to follow this  

trailer tie down help?

This maybe a stupid question, but i can't figure how to tie down the 2 outside bikes on my 3 bike trailer, i am stuck on how to stop the bikes falling inwards as there isn't anything to hook the tie down strap to on the out side of the trailer :cry: Any guys here use a trailer that can tell me what i am now seeing please

Trailer pic

A couple of Eye Bolts placed in the cross rails will give you a nice solid mount for your tie downs. You might want to extend the outer section cross rails as much as legally possible to provide a broader and more stable mount. Another mounting point under the outer footpeg for another tie down will help stabilize the whole mess. Or, if you're thrifty, just drill some 1/2" holes in the metal. :cry:

On my little trailer I added some 1 in square stock, about 24 in long with an eye bolted to the end, to each side at the front of the trailer. (sticks out about 18 in) Sorry I don't have a pic, but imagine it bolted or welded on horizontally on the front of your rig, sticking out to the side. It will give you plenty of angle to tie off to. They will likely stick out a bit past your fenders, but the only danger there is cracking your shins on 'em as you walk around the trailer. :cry:

My bike trailer is a simple 4 X 8 flat tilt bed and it works very well.

Doug

thanks for the input so far guys, looks like i am going to need to extend the frame out, i was hoping someone would have a "trick" to use

I've even seen guys tie the bikes to each other.

Exactly

Left outside (left handlebar) of bike to frame rail of trailer.

Right outside bike (right handlebar) of bike to opposite framerail of trailer.

Middle bike tied directly to the adjacent bike on each side.

Exactly

Left outside (left handlebar) of bike to frame rail of trailer.

Right outside bike (right handlebar) of bike to opposite framerail of trailer.

Middle bike tied directly to the adjacent bike on each side.

The problem is that the frame is not much wider if any than the handlebars so by strapping the outside bar to the trailer frame the strap is verticle, so offers no support on the bikes falling inwards am i missing something still :cry:

Think of it like this...

Left side of trailer-left side of left motorcycle-right side of handlebar on left bike to left side of handlebar of middle bike-right side of handlebar on middle bike to left side handlebar of right bike-right side of handlebar of right bike to right side of trailer.

The middle bike offers the inner support for the outside bikes, and the outside bike supports the outside of the middle bike. Get it?

Extend the frame out but see if you can cross the straps at the bars. Instead of using the outside of the bar to tie down to the outside of the trailer, see if you can use the inside bar and go to the outside of the trailer and vice-versa. This will eliminate the outside strap from being vertical. Worth a shot

Jay and savage :cry::cry:

wow, so simple but it seems right on the money, for the life of me i couldn't work this out, thanks guys :cry:

Well Duck, if you had a big gas guzzler cruise ship American car/truck you'd be able to pull a real trailer other than that little thing with no tie downs. :cry:

oooh yeah, just kidding. :cry: