Sign in to follow this  

2000 400exc Good Bike?

I have the opportunity to buy a 2000 400exc from a guy at work. He bought it a couple of years ago, broke his ankle on a buddies bike and it has been sitting for about a year. It is currently dieing after about 20 min of riding but is over at esp and george is supposed to be fixing it. My question is how good of a bike are they. i know the cam gear needs to be updated and I have heard good things about the big bore kits in them. I am mainly wanting it for a dualsport, about 95% offroad and may even start doing some racing on it. Thanks in advance, Jon.

P.S. he wants 3000$ for it, Does that sound reasonable?

Cam gear

WP seals

Cam bearings

These are the items that need updating on pre 2003 RFS bikes, or at least the 400s. Cost about $200 to replace all this on my 400. George at ESP does everything on my bike and always does an outstanding job. If he says the bike is in good shape, you can be sure it is, and vice versa. The reliability and longevity on the RFS bikes has been very good, assuming proper maintenance. If the bike is already plated and in good shape, $3,000 sounds like a good price.