Sign in to follow this  

I'm Fat and I bottom out

Well, Besides the typical response "Go on a diet you fat ass" I need some suggestions. I am about 6'1" and weigh about 230. I ride a YZ450F 04' and if I don't hit my landings just right my front end bottoms out fairly easy. What are some suggestions to correct this problem? :cry:

The quick and easy thing would be to add oil to the forks (see your manual in the "Tuning" section).

If you're still running the stock springs, I believe you'll find some improvement by going to the proper rate for your weight.

:cry:

Shims are what are used to change the resistance felt by the fork oil... they help determine the "feel" of the suspension. They are what tuners rearrange when they "revalve" your suspension.

The LS section is the Low Speed section of your base valve. If you look on the bottom of your forks where you adjust the compression damping, you will see a hex shaped recess where the adjuster is.

If you were to remove this, you would find the base valve.

At this point it sounds like it would be easier for you to try adding oil to the forks and learning as you go.

Try going here . It's not the exact fork you have but it's very close and will offer some more insight.

:cry:

I had an 02 yzf 426 and weigh 235 w/o gear "A" class mx rider and was having the same problem .

You need .48kg/mm fork springs and mx-tech valving. I did this and it was more than a night and day difference, you will not believe how good it works until you ride it. Worth every penny.

Thanks for the info and boost of confidence. :cry:

By the way is this something that I should trust my local dealership with?

You should seek out a good suspension guy , Like John Curea or Jeremy Wilkey of MX-Tech. Most of the time , from what I have seen , the guys at the local dealerships know just enough to get themselves in trouble , They are good at putting stuff back to stock only specs.