Sign in to follow this  

Jumping a CRF 450 VS 2 stroke????

I just bought a new CRF 450, and it looks sweet. I am breaking it in on Sat. My questionis how much differant is it to jump vs a two stroke? I mean jumping will be easy, but like on a two stroke I speed jump ( floor it, and let of on the face, stay low) The compression will slow me down I am thinking. I just wanted to know if their is any leapers in hear, and what they do to stay low and go fast. Any help would apprecaited. ANy other tips, for the conversion would be ehlpful to as well.

Thank in advance TTERS.

Ryan :cry:

I have a 04 CRF450 that I jump just like my old CR250. I have gone off jumps with a lot of momentum and the throttle chopped and have never had a problem. The engine braking seems very minimal. Of course, body english plays a part any time you come off a jump with no power but my experience has been that it is not a problem. Jim

My CRF jumps just as good as my old smokes did. The engine braking actually is very little with these bikes. Most people think its like the XR bikes, where you never use the brakes to slow down much, but its really not.

You will find yourself jumping as good if not better on the CRF, at least I did.

if it does seem like the engine braking is too much, consider a slipper clutch... they make off throttle feel like a two smoke. i love mine, and i know that burned does too!

dan

OK, I never heard fo that. Did you used to ride 2 strokes? I went an broke it in, and it felt good. I have to change the gearing, as it is to low. I am going from a 13/48 to a 13/50. I think that should help. Then I can tell if I need this clutch you speak of. Did the cluth affect anythign else?

I know for me it took some getting used to.

Several times I chopped the throttle on the face of a jump and wound up riding the front wheel like a unicycle! I ALWAYS leave a little throttle on all the way through the jump.

Jumping the 450 is a little different but if your a good jumper the transition will be real easy to adapt too. The first thing is Don't let off the throttle off the face, it will want to nose dive, the next thing you'll notice is the huge power, You can clear about anything, And last, they are a little heavier. All in all though I prefer jumping my crf to my old kx 250, if you loose a little momentum or if its muddy out, you just roll it on!!! Troy vet140

Because of the weight and engine characteristics of the bike it will take some getting used to (like 20-30 minutes) but you'll get the hang of it and it'll be like old times.