Sign in to follow this  

OT Quitting smoking

Been ten days now and I still feel pretty bad.....I smoked a pack of Marlboro lights for at least ten years. Two weeks ago I got a bad cold and my lungs were so torn up I couldn't even dream of lighting up. I quit cold turkey. I have read all the internet b.s. but I wanted to hear some feedback from people with my mind set...(riders) I don't crave a cig but I sure do feel lousy. I hope it will pass.

Cold turkey's the only way to go. I don't smoke, but I always tell myself that I will never let an object (drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, etc.) control me (except my 450!). MIND POWER!

Quitting those nasty things was the hardest thing I ever did. I did the patch and it worked. But even they will tell you that after a short time the physical addiction will end but the mental part lives on for a long time. Like TimFurryBalls said: MIND POWER! Quitting can only do good things for you and also more bucks to dump into your bike!

Been ten days now and I still feel pretty bad.....I smoked a pack of Marlboro lights for at least ten years. Two weeks ago I got a bad cold and my lungs were so torn up I couldn't even dream of lighting up. I quit cold turkey. I have read all the internet b.s. but I wanted to hear some feedback from people with my mind set...(riders) I don't crave a cig but I sure do feel lousy. I hope it will pass.
I was just like you and the same thing happened to me I got really sick and I could not smoke for a whole day and I thought if I can go 1 day why not 2 then why not 3 ,etc .It can be done ,It takes about 3weeks for that feeling to go away ,you are almost there just hang in and I promise everyday gets easier and easier.Just stay aways for ALACHOL at all cost and try not to go out and party for the 1st few months .Do u have kids ? if so tell you self you have to do it for them so you will be around to be a grandpa .My trick is I wrote down the day I quit and then celebrated at the end of every month I went with out smoking and then every year and now its been since Nov 15 ,2001 and I feel great the best part is you can ride way longer .I just tell myself if I have 1 then I might as well have a pack because I have to start my day I quit over and I have over 3years and I dont want to start form scratch again .Tell people how long it has been and feel good about your self for quiting .I bought some suckers to occupy my time in I am feeling like having a smoke.Just think you allready made it thought the HARDEST part the 1st week and now the rest is just gravy .I kinda think of it like its my other b-day

hope this helps a little .

Ask you self what do you get out of smoking ,

waster of $

you stink

you have to go out side in the rain

girls dont like it

you are KILLING yourself

etc,ect,ect

PLUS side

save $

you ride better

dont smell

stay warm

get more chicks

see your kind,kids grow up

wont get all wrinkled up

you can smell food again

you can taste food again

ect,ect,ect

Rbrown

To me if someone smokes it shows they are week ,hang in there and have faith

I quit smoking and chewing cold turkey in about 91. Quitting sucked but I would say the first couple months was the hardest. I still occasionaly have dreams where I relapse, so it never really has left my mind I don't think. It is totally worth quitting IMO.

What I can't tell is the rotten way I am feeling is the remains of my cold or the remains of the nicotine addiction.....

I quit after 24 years of smoking, best thing I have every done. Cold turkey is the best way, 99% mental 1% fisical in my opinion. Just hang in there it will all be worth it in the long run. GOOD LUCK :cry:

It's a bitch! I just quit on Jan. 1. Cold turkey. I now have the worst cold I've had in a while. The only time I find it really hard is when I go out drinking.

I smoked a pack a day for 10 years, always knowing that I shouldn't but that damn cigarette controls your mind, making you unaware that you are an addict.

I quit September 4, 2000, cold turkey after getting the flu. Quitting was the best gift I could ever give myself. It was hard at first. I had to stop drinking alcohol for like 6 months, and stop going to happy hours with my work buddies.

As your system rids itself of the tobacco, you start to fully realize what control that cigarette has over you. It is poison, and does nothing except try and kill you. And the fact that you're willing to fork out $$$, day or night,rain or shine, its just crazy.

If you took all the ingredients of a cigarette, and put it in a sandwich, there's no way in hell you'd ever eat it. But roll it up in paper and smoke it, and its somehow different?

Good luck with quitting. Its an accomplishment to be very proud of. Remember, "smoking is a journey, cancer is the destination." (stolen from CAB360's sig on mototalk)

It's a bitch! I just quit on Jan. 1. Cold turkey. I now have the worst cold I've had in a while. The only time I find it really hard is when I go out drinking.

I knew I couldnt have a drink without a smoke so I quit both. After 2 months I started drinking again and now HATE the stench of cigs and I know I will never go back. It feels too good to have healthier lungs and $30 a week go towards something meaningful.

I started young and smoked at least a pack a day for 8 years. When I quit, my lungs spent the next 2-3 months clearing and I felt like a bad cold the whole time. I was actually sicker temporarily from quitting. Now, I hardly ever get colds and I don't ever miss it. Cold turkey is the way to go.

i sit hear and read this as i myself have a cigarette. about five years ago i quit for the same reason as some of you other guys-i got sick. i thought, hey, if i can make it through the day maybe i'll feel better. then it was two days, week, etc. but this was about halloween time. by jan and after numerous colds, i finally went to the doctor -still not smoking. i asked him if quitting was why i had been so sick, maybe my immune system was down? of course he said no-but i still don't believe him. well i made it eleven months unfortunately till a friends' wedding when a bunch of us were screwing around and i put one in my mouth. so it's been about four years now. i've been telling myself that when flu season's over and the weather warms up i'm gonna try again. my advice is to just stick with at all costs. cold turkey, gum, patch, whatever-my best friend also got hynotized and hasn't had one since. remember, it's a vice, and everyone has one, i just need to change mine to something else-come to think of it-i'd be able to hold two beers!!! :cry:

Ive worked in the ER for over 13 years and I cannot tell you how many people Ive treated with smoking related diseases. Some die, some live a few more years with persistent cardio-pulmonary issues. Trust me, you quitting was probably the most important change you could have done to protect your heart and lungs.

Good job.

:cry:

Slightly OT to your OT, but here goes: About 2 years ago, a friend of mine at work (a smoker) needed to have rather routine knee surgery to fix some meniscus issues. The surgery went fine, but he developed an infection inside his knee within a week. Long story short, at the age of 35, he had to have his knee completely replaced (not good). Last year, I ruptured my ACL and avoided surgery primarily due to my friends experience. In discussing his problems with my Doc, his first words were "Did he smoke?". My Doc said he wasn't suprised as in his experience, problems like this in otherwise healthy people happens more commonly to smokers than to non-smokers. I don't know if it's true, but it's worth considering.

QUITTER !

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS !!!!!!!!

Just kidding..

I quit cold turkey 4-5 years ago.

Best part was the food. Food is so good after quitting smoking. To help me I used to each so much junk and crap too. I'd go into the same shop I used to buy the smokes in and buy sweets, chocolate, icecream, goodies everytime I got a nicotine craving.

Man, I almost got hooked on chocolate and icecream there for a few weeks after the smoking. Funny thing was that even after I bought snacks and had more meals each day, I STILL had more money and felt better. I was also happy to piss of my mates who reckoned that I'd go back on the smokes first chance I get.

There are thousands of people here in Ireland quitting each day because of the smoking ban. It's great. It's so good being in a pub without people blowing shit in your face now.

One more thing. If you quit smoking you get your lungs back to full health. As if you never smoked a cigarette in your life. It takes 6 months to a year. I wish I could smoke again, just so I could quit them again and go back through all the positive changes my body made in the first few months. :cry:

Jason

I started smoking at 15 and quit for the first time at 25. I craved for a smoke everyday during those 6 years. I bummed one smoke one day and one week later, I was a pack a day again. I loved to smoke and still do. If it wouldn't kill me (cough and hack still to this day) I'd still be puffing away. I smoked for 10 years again. Quit cold turkey (it helped to have my three kids continuously nag me every minute of the day), on May 25th, 1995 that was my last cig smoke. I smoked a few cigars and almost started back up again in 2000........................

I LOVE to SMOKE, but I don't want to DIE yet.

The only way to stop................... you have to do it for yourself :cry::cry:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wish I knew when I had only a Year to live, I'd PARTY like a Rock Star :cry:

So how's it coming man?? I just quit in October after smoking for 7 years and I know I'll never go back. But you have to want to do it deep down. Feed off of the cravings and know that your mind is stronger than they are. Oh yeah, never smoke one again in your life, ever! Don't let your emotions and happiness be a slave to the nicotine!

I quit when I started to save for a new bike, I was managing to put away $600 a month, and when I realized that if I quit, that would give me an extra $200 a month, I did it.

I know that this will sound obvious but - everybody I know that has quit has done so for one reason or another, all you have to do is find your reason :cry:

Good point. You have to want to do it. I quit because I knew it was the right thing to do. I loved smoking. And one day I realized that I would love smoking for the rest of my life, and it scared me. Once I figured that out, I knew I was in trouble, so I started my quit.

I was always jealous of people who had never smoked before, and I wanted to be that person. Well now I am, in the sense that I never think about smoking unless I come across a thread like this. Isn't that cool!