Sign in to follow this  

Oil Change

going to do my first oil change on my bike today. i will be runing the klotz full synthetic 10w40. i have been runing this in my street bike for two years. also they gentleman who said that the rmz 250 and rmz 450 oil filters are the same, is absolutly right. i got mine in today and calipered them up and they are exacltly the same. :cry:

The dimensions may be the same but the flow rate/material could be different. A Suzuki factory guy told me not to use the 250 unit in the 450.

The 450 filters should be out at dealers today/Monday I would think.

Remember Suzuki designed the RMZ250... The oil filters are identical size to the RMZ250 ones, just a different part number. Kawasaki manufactures the 250 and has the oil filters produced for them with their part number. Suzuki sell all the 250 parts using kawasaki part numbers but they add a "K" to the front of the number. Highly unlikely the material or flow rate is any different. Just about all Suzuki street bikes including most of their ATV's use the same oil filter. It is exactly that, an oil filter.. Flow rate is determined by the oil pump and rpm.

my dealer called today & said the 450 filters are in , so i go we put a250 next to a 450 they look identical on the outside but on the inside , that piece of metal inside one was deeper in , than the other , 450 price was 4 dollars more but thats life , we want to ride the big bad boy so better safe than sorry , i'll pay the extra & keep churning up the ground , matter of fact i,m loaded now , pulling out at 6:00 am going to be 67 here tomorrow.............

The dealer i spoke to said the rmz/kxf 250 was completely designed by kawi and the 450 is suzuki's own project???

...better safe than sorry...

Exactly.

Unfortunately I dropped $60 on a stainless unit cause I paniced over the filter shortage last week. Guess it will pay off in the long run...

Not that it really matters: I would think (Im not an engineer) that the filter is restriction. Restriction is going to effect the flow rate of the pump. If the 250 filter causes the oil pump to work harder you could have pre-mature failure of the pump, at least. Just a theory...that doesnt matter now that the 450 filters are in.

The dealer i spoke to said the rmz/kxf 250 was completely designed by kawi and the 450 is suzuki's own project???

Thats right. GSXR technology. :cry:

Thats right. GSXR technology. :cry:

Thats why I laugh at the guys that are questioning the reliability of this powerplant. It should prove to be one hell of a thumper! Im thinking it will turn out to be one of the best motors ever put into a dirt bike.

Take that Mr Honda...

Suzuki did design the RMZ250 engine that Kawasaki built, and Yes Suzuki completely built the RMZ450, but Kawasaki completely builds their upcoming 450. Maybe that is why it isn't out yet?? Suzuki originated the design of the crank case reed venting system and the centrifugal kick start idler gear oil/air separation system in the GSXR's that is in the 250. As for the filter causing the pump to wear..???? Think about it.... How does anything wear out that is full of oil ? Only dirty oil or lack of oil causes wear to a oil pump. The 2 internal pre-oil pump screens if plugged would cause oil starvation long before an oil filter will. Have you ever tried to plug the end of a garden hose with your thumb??? It's easier to just kink the hose... Similar situation... The top end would fry long before the oil pump if there was pressure loss or flow loss. Have any of you ever seen how small the oil pump vanes are in these 4Strokers??? Tiny. But they do amazing things. SO yes buying the 450 filter is worth the extra $4.00. Enjoy your new ride.. I have one too !

I too will be doing my first oil change. This is my first thumper. I am used to seeing the drain plug at the bottom of the case. The owners manual is a little confusing to say the least. Maybe you or someone can help. I have an RMZ450. Page 2-11 of the manual shows 2 photos. Rear brake side of the engine shows a traditional oil fill cap with a tradition oil level weep hole. Then, on the shifter side of the case it goes on to show another filler cap, and a drain plug on the lower (side) of the case. Question, which hole do I pour oil into, the one on the shifter or the brake side? Has anyone seen a drain plug that was NOT on the bottom of the case before?

Thanks in advance.

You fill it from the hole on top of the clutch cover, with the check screw in. If the dhcek srew isnt in, the il runs down the cutch plates and out the hole...

The drain plug is odd because it is really long and kinda tricky to get out/in.

Thanks for the help. Can you answer what the normal looking fill cap is used for on the rear brake side? Just a vent?

Really, I am not THIS stupid...I hope anyway...

Please look at the lower drawing on page 2-11 of the manual. Bottom drawing. I guess where I got confused is where it tells you to remove the TDC 1 plug and drain plug 2. Why should we remove the TDC plug (Top Dead Center) plug just to drain oil? Did you bother doing that? I was wondering if that was where Suzuki wanted the oil put in...Didnt think it would be easy to pour oil in a horizontal hole, but you clarified that the normal looking spot is the correct place to fill oil. Whats the TDC plug even mentioned for?

I await the obvious. Really feeling stupid now...

Off of the suzuki site........Suzuki Advanced Sump System - semi-dry-sump lubrication system featuring separate crankshaft and transmission oil chambers - permits low crankshaft placement for reduced engine height and low center-of-gravity.

So im Guesing that its like a honda, the oils are seperate, so you should have 2 drain plugs and 2 fill plugs. :cry::cry:

Not sure though

It is probably to let air in on that side of the case for complete draining. There is only one drain plug.

it is to allow for total oil drainage...lol but UNLIKE the HONDA there is one drain plug for the whole engine and trans. you must vent the left side like that because of the reed valve system they have in the motor. oh yea anyone change theirs yet and put in 1450ml in and have a hard time to get the oil to come out the check plug?? even if the motor is hot.

I overfilled mine a little and it took forever and made a mess draining the excess out the check hole.

oh yea anyone change theirs yet and put in 1450ml in .

Is that the entie oil capacity? Or is that just one side? I dont get it, how does the RMZ's oil system work? Is it like the honda, or not??

no, it's not like the honda. One drain hole, and one filler cap. They want you to take off the cap and screw to allow for complete drainage.