Sign in to follow this  

Starting the 2005 TE, cold, hot & after a crash

I have learned with my DRZ a simple foolproof way to start my bike after a crash. If I don't use this method the bike has trouble starting. Others in the DRZ forum use this method too............simply get the bike up, climb on and hold the throttle WFO while pushing the start button till it clears itself and starts..........works everytime. The DRZ S has a Mikuni CV carb..this procedure works for E models too with an FCR carb

What about starting the new Husky bikes?...........does anyone have any experience. is the bike harder to start after a crash? What technique is to be used? My question is about using the electric start procedure, not the kick start and not bump starting

I assume cold starts are with a choke on and no throttle, but saw a post that maybe a touch of throttle is necessary when the bike is warm/hot.

The theme of this post is electric starting procedures - for my 05 TE-510 at cold, hot and after a crash.

any comment, info advice appreciated. :cry::cry:

I wish I could help you but I have honestly never used the button. I know it works because I pushed it when I picked the bike up from the shop. I have the JD kit in my '05 450 and it fires on the second kick cold and first or second hot every time. Remarkable really. I feel kickstarting will also give me a better feel for when the valves are out of whack.

Travis Epperson

The situation of being flooded after a stall is too big of a pilot jet! However that big jet is needed to mask over the too lean of needle. The JD kit fixed this nicly on mine, I am considering a larger choke jet however, cold starting seams to require a couple of twists to get gas into it.

Here's what I've found to be the best post-fall starting routine for high performance four-strokes.. :cry::cry: Bob be sure to print this out and carry it on the bike this weekend...

1..turn fuel off

2..remove fuel tank and carburetor

3..remove valve cover and check for dislodged shims (very important)

4..install new spark plug...gap at .097

5..two five second squirts of starting fluid into combustion chamber

6..re-install gas tank and carburetor

7..While having another person crank the motor, put you ear against the exhaust outlet and listen for valve knock. If you hear anything unusual quit cranking and repeat steps 1 to 6..

Works everytime on big Wolf bikes.. :cry:

:devil::D:D:mad::cry::cry::devil:

I wish I could help you but I have honestly never used the button. I know it works because I pushed it when I picked the bike up from the shop. I have the JD kit in my '05 450 and it fires on the second kick cold and first or second hot every time. Remarkable really. I feel kickstarting will also give me a better feel for when the valves are out of whack.

Travis Epperson

Travis

I've got a 05 smr 450. Would you please advise me on jetting this thing or anything I need to look for or do. And any sugestions on oil for it.

Thanks jb

Travis

I've got a 05 smr 450. Would you please advise me on jetting this thing or anything I need to look for or do. And any sugestions on oil for it.

Thanks jb

JB

The 05 carb has a needle that has too little taper, this is deadly lean and they have compensated for it in the pilot jet, huge! Together they run OK as long as your rpm is up riding hard. But because of the huge pilot if you stall it its probubly flooded and in slow technical stuff it wants to stall. To get it right you need the JD kit! It has the corect taper on the needle so you can run the correct pilot (#42).

Bob,

The 510's definately need the jetting sorted from stock. Playing with the stock jetting will gain improvement but even though I hate to admit, the JD Kit did make a world of difference. Using the standard JD settings my bike starts cold and hot very easily. Cold you need the choke and when warm/hot you just hit the button. I haven't thrown it down the road as yet to see if starting after a crash is a problem.

Bob, you like to plan ahead !!

The only gripe I have is I can't stop the brakes from squealing like a pig. Its a disadvantage when your chasing down your next victim as they always know when your about to drop in on the inside line because they hear you coming and close the door! I'm going to try another brand of pads to see if that helps.

cya.

Travis

Thanks jb

I can only tell you that I've got a 172 main and 45 pilot with the blue JD needle in the third clip. I'm at 6,000' here in Arizona where it is in the 50's. JD said I can ride it in this configuration with only fuel screw adjustments down to sea level. Fuel screw is about 1 1/4 out up here and about 1 3/4 out down in the desert. I use Motul in my 2T and 4T without problems so far. Matter of fact my 300EXC has over 3,000 miles on it with only one top end being done in that time :cry: . Good oil I guess.

Travis Epperson

Bob,

The 510's definately need the jetting sorted from stock. Playing with the stock jetting will gain improvement but even though I hate to admit, the JD Kit did make a world of difference. Using the standard JD settings my bike starts cold and hot very easily. Cold you need the choke and when warm/hot you just hit the button. I haven't thrown it down the road as yet to see if starting after a crash is a problem.

Bob, you like to plan ahead !!

The only gripe I have is I can't stop the brakes from squealing like a pig. Its a disadvantage when your chasing down your next victim as they always know when your about to drop in on the inside line because they hear you coming and close the door! I'm going to try another brand of pads to see if that helps.

cya.

I tasted the dirt twice yesterday :cry: & each time after picking my '05 TE450 up I just pressed the button for approx. 3 seconds (max.) & it fired up. I have a JD Jetting Kit installed.

As far as my brakes making noises. I have a Fully Floating BRAKING front disk with EBC MX-S pads & the standard slotted rear disk with the same pads & have never heard a sound from either - yet!