Sign in to follow this  

05 Husky kick stand Stability

what do you all think about our TE kickstands? Looks nice all tucked up like that. I have to get use to reaching my foot up high to grab it with my heal on the trail when I come to a trail rest. It's light and sturdy, but maybe not that stable on lose and un-level ground.............. I surely doubt I would ever even think about some how modifying it. I'm sure I get used to it and get it figured out where I can place it on the trails, but I bet I set it wrong once or twice and my bike falls over in the first months.

has anyone had their bike fall over once set on the trail? or is this stand rock solid in all circumstances......... I wish there was more lean to the bike with the stand down , ,that helps stability.... My DRZ is great that way. The CRF 250X has way to long a kick stand - not good at all, makes finding a stable spot on the trail more a problem, I can set my DRZ down just about anywhere.........I expect my husky will be not as stable but not as bad as those 250X bikes.

Just a guess that you will have problems!!! The stand is a auto stand, so if the bike is leaning the wrong way or down hill it could fall :cry::cry::cry:

yeah those kickstands are trick but imho they are a bit overengineered.

if you are left footed its awkward....

Well, the Jap bikes have stands that hold the bike up very well. They also stick out when folded up and catch in ruts. I always remove them before racing. The KTM folds up nice, but doesn't hold the bike up very well at all. If you look at a KTM wrong it falls over. The Husky stand on my 05 seems to fold up nice and does support the bike fairly well. I usually dismount and fold the stand down by hand. I haven't figured out how to make my foot bend in the right directions to put it down that way.

Jim

The stands are fine and very stable. It's the Suicide auto up feature that I disabled.

The bike WILL, guaranteed fall over with the sui-stand feature. All you have to do to disable it is: Buy yourself a piece of Steel tubing ($4) @ Ace Hardware to make a bushing out of and while you are there get yourself a bolt of the appropirate length and size. Put the OEM bolt with the spring/plate holder/ button extension auto suicide feature deleo #1 on it away for when you sell the bike or just do what I did and pitch it as far as possible over the fence.

Cut the piece of steel tubing to the proper length to make a bushing that fits into the stand for the new bolt to go through. Insert new bolt and drive it home a bit so the spring/plate holder deleo #2 clears the head of the bolt.

The stand will now stay down when you take the weight off of it and your Auto retract sui-stand feature will be eliminated. It will behave as a normal kickstand.

Any engineer ought to be able to do this Mod. Then maybe not, they might just get confused by thinking about it too much. That's what normally happens with engineers.

Sorry Bob, I just couldn't resist the jab!

Seriously, I'm glad you're here with us other Husky nuts, even though we can look forward to 4000 posts out of you this season.

ya know me well. I used to tell my wife and live-in girlfriends over the years when they wanted me to fix something around the house that I am a "conceptual engineer". I know what a screw driver is used for, but don't expect me to actually operate the thing. :cry:

yup I'm in the construction industry, you should see me walking around a job site in my nice pants, shirt and tie and a hard hat "observing" the work of tradesmen and contractors. I'm walking around in my tassle loafers trying not to get too dirty or worse bump my 6'5" head on anything and everyone is looking scared like oh no it's the engineer god help us. hahaha :cry:

now tell me about that bolt on kick stand thing again, I do what to where and how was that?? :cry:

yup I'm a conceptual engineer. My dad was a real hands on guy. He helped me rebuild my transmission on my 61 ford falcon ( first car) when I was in high school, but by the time I was out of college, forget it I was no longer hands on material.....My dad would have me over to his shop to help create something and all I knew was integration, molecular biology and nuclear physics..........I've been useless ever since. But I can see the big picture and the big picture is Husqvarna ROCKS!! :cry:

Bob, I was over at my Ranch yesterday, looked at the 510 and got some of the spec's on what I used to dis-activate the sui-stand feature.

Ace Hardware:

One 12" piece of 3/8" x 028 S. S. Tubing, by K&S Engineering, Chicago, K&S Stock #7119. to make the bushing out of.

One M8 X 30 bolt.

The stands are fine and very stable. It's the Suicide auto up feature that I disabled.

The bike WILL, guaranteed fall over with the sui-stand feature. All you have to do to disable it is: Buy yourself a piece of Steel tubing ($4) @ Ace Hardware to make a bushing out of and while you are there get yourself a bolt of the appropirate length and size. Put the OEM bolt with the spring/plate holder/ button extension auto suicide feature deleo #1 on it away for when you sell the bike or just do what I did and pitch it as far as possible over the fence.

Cut the piece of steel tubing to the proper length to make a bushing that fits into the stand for the new bolt to go through. Insert new bolt and drive it home a bit so the spring/plate holder deleo #2 clears the head of the bolt.

The stand will now stay down when you take the weight off of it and your Auto retract sui-stand feature will be eliminated. It will behave as a normal kickstand.

Now that I have my 510 home.......YES this mod is very necessary. That sui-stand wants to walk the bike right into the ground if your on any kind of off camber or sloped surface.