Sign in to follow this  

Lubing Hot Start Plunger

I read a thread somewhere that the 05 YZF need to have the hot start plunger lubed, what type of lube do we use? Thanks. :cry:

spray it with silicone. oil lubes will gum up and make it stick even worse.

Really?

I just put some lithium grease on mine when it was new and its worked like a charm.

Of course, as you saw, my bike doesn't see any really hard use... :cry:

I use Rem Oil to lube all my cables. With each use you get a little more teflon built up in the cables and they get smoother.

I use Rem Oil

or Break Free CLP (cleaner-lubricant-protector).

get it at Walmart in the firearms cleaning stuff aisle.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

I use Rem Oil to lube all my cables. With each use you get a little more teflon built up in the cables and they get smoother.

Are we talking about lubing the cable here, or the plunger?

lithium doesnt sound too bad, but it will cake over time.

The only reason I use the silicone is because it will clean the oring and the bore somewhat and wont cause any deteriation of the oring.

A bunch of us are riding big bass lake tomorrow at 8am if you can make it. :cry:

For rubber applications such as o-rings on plungers, wheel cylinders, caliper pistons, etc, check out a product called Sil-Glyde that's sold though AutoZone in small $0.99 cent packets usually found on the parts counters or better yet you can find it at Napa Auto Parts stores in 4oz tubes for $5.88 (Napa PN# 765-1351). This stuff has a high film strength, stays put, is water repellant, won't run or melt or gum and is effective from -20 to +600F. It's also a silicone based product that's harmless to rubber and it's da-bomb for these kinds of things :cry: