Sign in to follow this  

CA DMV Question on 05 E-model from out of state

I have a fiend who is looking at buying a 05 E. If he buys in NV in order to get a FCR bike vice Mikuni, will he have a problem with getting a green sticker. I was told he may only be able to get a red sticker due to the emissions junk we deal with here in CA. I tired finding applicable subjects with the search engine but I was unable to get my question answered that way. Any help would be appreciated.

Thnaks

DrBlueZ

1: You'll get nothing but opinion in here,, which means nothing when your friend is down at his local DMV tiring to get a green sticker.

2: Unless someone has done just this,, in CA.. This year (or late last year) in your area,, it's just an idea,, not fact.

3: Go down to your local DMV, ask to speak to a supervisor. See what they have to say.. Make sure you do not make it sound like your intentionally trying to find a way around the regulations.. Maybe something about a great deal on a leftover new bike at a firend shop in NV. Or ask another DRV about registering a used non CA bike.. If that is a go,, Buy the bike,, resale it, register it as a used bike. May not make a difference to the CA DMV though,, Comply,, or not,, to get your sticker.. Sorry,, but just another good reason,, I left CA when I was 19,,, and never want to live there again.. Visit,, Yes,, Live no.

I think you will have a hard time getting a green sticker for the bike. The clerk at the DMV will just enter the vin and it will tell them red sticker.(I could be wrong and you might try to talk to them but my expiriences with them tell me no way.)

Did you try looking for info in the official CA DMV websites? There are rules listed in there. How the local DMV treats you is to be found out. I have a feeling you may get hit with the VIN number problem. Find a relative in another state to register the bike???

So what I gather is, regardless of whether the bike was purchased new or secondhand, it will be a red sticker bike because it's VIN shows a bike destined for a state other than CA. His folks live in Vegas and we thought maybe they could purchase the bike and then sell it to him. This would be a waste of time and money because the VIN is the VIN and nothing can change that. Second question. What if you broke your frame beyond repair and opted for a new one from Suzuki. Does that come with a new VIN? I guess I'll tell him to wait in line at the DMV and ask the question.

Thanks in advance