Sign in to follow this  

tire change--BULGE at rimlock???

Title says it all. 18" rear wheel. I'm trying to seat the bead and it is bulging bad at the rimlock. At 60+ psi, it still isn't seating

What do you mean by "bulging"

With what you have posted (a pic would be worth a 1k words) it sounds like you do not have the lock seated correctly... Let the air out.. loosen the lock nut on the bead lock,, push the bead lock all the way up.. Make sure the tire bead is now seated on the rim,,,, Lube the bead all the way around,, both sides,, inflate the tube, tire should now seat.. Tighten the bead lock down,, Install wheel,, Go ride :cry:

What do you mean by "bulging"

With what you have posted (a pic would be worth a 1k words) it sounds like you do not have the lock seated correctly... Let the air out.. loosen the lock nut on the bead lock,, push the bead lock all the way up.. Make sure the tire bead is now seated on the rim,,,, Lube the bead all the way around,, both sides,, inflate the tube, tire should now seat.. Tighten the bead lock down,, Install wheel,, Go ride :cry:

Yep what he said :cry:

What bronco said.... except it should seat with pressure. Just changed two rims last night. Took almost 80psi to get the rear to "pop" into place. Be generous with the WD-40.

As for the bulge make sure you have the correct size rim lock. 2.15 rim (125 or 250f typically) 2.50 for a 250 or 4xxf. If you have the incorrect size rim lock ie. a 2.50 (rear) and are trying to stuff it into a 1.85 (front) this might be your problem. Pure speculation at this point. Post some pics so we can see what you are talkin about.

Ace

Title says it all. 18" rear wheel. I'm trying to seat the bead and it is bulging bad at the rimlock. At 60+ psi, it still isn't seating

Did you tighten the rimlock before you inflated it? If so back the nut out as far as it will go, then inflate.

If that doesnt work, spray some WD-40 between the rim and the bead then inflate.

If THAT doesnt work, take the tire off and remount it.

Damn... you guys are fast. :cry:

I got it. I was just venting really when I posted. For future reference, I backed off the nut on the rimlock and pushed the stem back into the tube/tire so I could get the tire to seat between the rim and the rimlock. Then I wiggled the tire around to get it in there and inflated the tube. Everything slid into place with about 50psi. Thanks for the help everyone :cry: