If rumor is the 06 has FI, then why none in the 450 supercrossers

in my opinion there will never be fi on a straight up motorcross bike. you will have to ad weight with a pump and various other sensors and a larger ignition module. i think that there could possibly be fi on the off road models like the crfx, drz, wr, but deffinetly not on the motorcross models.

dont crush or hopes and dreams ? i want fi. i wonder what the potential is for a aftermarket fi system?

Why? Its most likely not going to be a closed-loop EFI like on a car, so it wont reprogram itself and if that is the case I will be surprised if them manufacturers make reprogramming easy or cheap.

I'd rather stick with a carb.

I pointed it out in another thread but I'll do it again. Go look at www.usmontesa.com A trials Honda thumper with fuel injection. Not its not big heavy or bulky and no it doesn't have a battery.

I don't expect to see FI on a MX'er for a few more years though (my guess is 08). Honda probably wants to work out all the kinks on a small volume market first. It will come its just a matter of time, market pressure and the corporate bottom line.

Not to mention that at .13 micron feature sizes (pretty typical these days) you can add a few million transistors to the ECU and never and the difference will be like 1 square centimeter and a couple nanograms. I'm thinking FI for a competetive MXer will add too much cost so Honda is foot dragging as long as is legal.

Well guys remember the Cannondale, they have FI I dont know what type of FI it is but it has it. If they (Cannondale) can put it on a bike why can't the Jap's. I'm sure they can. I believe that they will, eventually. On a diiferent note, if 4 wheel disc brakes are very good, to which i agree, then why don't all vehicles regardless of make put 4 wheel disc brakes on their products. Yes it's the cost, we will probably have to pay more for FI, but the more research and developement that is done on FI the cheaper it will become. Hopefully we won't have to wait to long for it. Just my two cents worth. ?

Honda IS experimenting with FI. If you look close at this photo from the Jap Nationals last autumn you can see two wires going from the exhaust header....

jmx004.jpg

Just because there is an oxygen sensor in the exhaust doesn't mean that there is a FI unit on the bike. It may be there to help with getting the carb fuel/air ratio setup.

Ride on

Brewster

in my opinion there will never be fi on a straight up motorcross bike. you will have to ad weight with a pump and various other sensors and a larger ignition module. i think that there could possibly be fi on the off road models like the crfx, drz, wr, but deffinetly not on the motorcross models.

The Montesa trials bike is Honda powered and FI.

Trials bikes are ALL about light weight. Look in to it, it is a very interesting setup.

The FI unit powers up from kickstarting.