Sign in to follow this  

New to the Forums and Dirtbiking! - Neep some help picking a bike

:cry: Hi, I'm new to the Forum and also dirtbiking. I am planning on buying a dirtbike in the Spring, and am so excited. The only problem I have is that I am getting different advice. I am 5 ft. 2 and a half (had to add the half in there, it counts) and I am 115 lbs. In the past few years I have only rode ATVs. The advice I am getting is to either get the CRF 150 or the TTR 125. I know I am short and it seems that I am limited, but I really want a bike that I won't end up getting bored with. It seems all you ladies right pretty big bikes, and I would really like any advice you could give me. I'm not scared of a lot of power, but then again I don't won't something that will overpower me and is hard to learn on. I do like the blue a little bit better than the red, but really it doesn't matter.

Thanks so much.

Stacie :cry:

I would recommend the CRF230. That was my first bike and I loved it! I'm a little taller than you (5'5"), but once you get used to it, you should be fine. It doesn't have a whole bunch of power where it will scare you, but it has enough for when you are comfortable. Another plus about the CRF230 is that it has electric start! :cry: I don't know about you, but kicking a hot four stroke is a pain in the :cry::cry: ! It also tires you out a lot faster. The 230 also has a bigger front wheel, which will make for better handling than the 150. Whatever you choose, good luck and have a blast!! :cry:

Check the top of the forum, where it says "beginner's bikes." At 5'2", your choices of the TTR and CRF are good; between the two, the Honda has more power but weighs more. Depends on whether you want to make that trade or not. But don't rule out a KX100; some people start on them, some people move up to them. The seat height is right but the power takes a little getting used to. You WILL, but it might be frustrating at first. It all boils down to preference. It might be tougher at first; but you won't outgrow it as fast, either.

If it were me...get the Honda CRF230. It's resonably light, and resonably short, but most importantly (and I do mean MOST) it has E-start. The 100/125's out there are good bikes, but I feel you may be ready to upgrade sooner than you would like. A nice light 2 smoker may be another option but those are pretty tall.

My wife is the exact same size as you. I bought her a TTR125E. She loves it and it is a great beginner bike with the perfect learning power. Electric start and a kick starter for back up... :cry::cry:

I would recommend the CRF230. That was my first bike and I loved it! I'm a little taller than you (5'5"), but once you get used to it, you should be fine. It doesn't have a whole bunch of power where it will scare you, but it has enough for when you are comfortable. Another plus about the CRF230 is that it has electric start! :cry: I don't know about you, but kicking a hot four stroke is a pain in the :cry::cry: ! It also tires you out a lot faster. The 230 also has a bigger front wheel, which will make for better handling than the 150. Whatever you choose, good luck and have a blast!! :cry:

I agree 100% with ktmchick. I have a 230 and I love it. I was and still am a beginner and this bike enabled me to learn the basics without having too much power and the e-start is definately a bonus. I'm 5'4 and a half and this bike is perfect. I'm just about ready to upgrade to the CRF250R and can't wait.

One of the girls I have been riding with for the last 10 years has a KX100 now. She is 5'2" as well, and just loves it. Its light and fast and she has no problems getting over or through anything. She has owned many bikes and that bike is her favorite.

The 150 will fit you best for now. The 230 is awesome, but will be too tall. My wife is the same size as you. We put her on the TTR only because back then the 150 hadn't come out yet. The 150 has better suspension and a little more snap. DO NOT go out and get a KX 100 to learn on. They are extremely fast and you could get seriously hurt if your not ready for that. A KX, CR, YZ 80 and 100's have enough power to make the 230 feel like a moped. I not saying never, just be well prepared before you even try one. :)

I'm 5'4" & 112lbs. I bought a new CRF150 ~2 yrs ago. I really like the size & weight but now need a little more power for the tough stuff. Speed wise I'm fine, I have no need to go faster than 40 - 50 miles/hr, thanks. I just want to climb bigger hills and rougher terrain more easily. I've just bought a big bore kit for it.

When I bought my bike there were NO used ones around at all so I had to buy new. If I was your size, given the choice, I would buy a used TTR125 (e-start if possible) and have fun getting used to biking. At some point I'd decide whether I'd sell it (with hardly any loss on the used price, I'd bet) and, if so, what was next. At least this way you wouldn't lose money by buying something new and then needing something else afterall. Moving up is a likely progression as you get better. It's all really just about whether you want to take smaller, possibly more comfortable, steps or just go for it. You need to know your personality so that you do the best scenario so as to not frustrate/scare yourself off biking or hurt yourself. As you're used to ATVing you may well be ready to ride almost any option, only you can decide. If you're really agressive and not anti-2 stroke, a KX100, or even a CR85, might work well for you. Sizewise they'd probably be perfect.

If I was buying new, I'd go the CRF150 or, if you're really strong/agressive (for a small beginner) the CRF230 and lower it. The kickstart option on the 230 is sweet, BUT (for my size) I didn't think the extra 20lbs was sweet. I drop my bike a ton but it starts very easily. In fact, I'm often kickstarted before any of the guys I ride with get their e-starts turned over.

Anyway, in case you weren't aware of the ads online for Alberta:

Calgary Bargain Finder- dirtbikes

Edmonton Bargain Finder- Dirt bikes

Of course, the best thing is to see if people with the bikes you're interested in will let you try them.

Good luck, have fun and let us know what you come up with!

My wife is the same size as you and she has a tt-r 125. She had never ridden a bike before this year (only ATVs). She loves it!!

There are plenty of hop up kits and suspension lifts for the blue bike so you will never be bored with it. The E-start is a girls best friend(and a Husbands!)

She has not fallen over yet and she is adapting very well to two wheels.

If she ever decides to get something else, I'm going to keep it for a pit bike for myself.

Good Luck. :)