Sign in to follow this  

Possible cause for vakves going...and my valve cover breather mods...

oops i spelled valve wrong...

I picked up a inline filter to put in the valve cover breather as a second defense against dirt...I also took of the plug at the bottom part of the line where water from condensation builds up and replaced it with a one way check valve (water and air out, nothing in) I rode the bike for a while tonite and when i was done i noticed that the filter was full of condensation, look in the pics below, the inline filter is right next to where the hose comes out of the carb boot, so that means condensation from around the valves is rising through the breather tube and into the air boot, tat would mean water and water vapor is getting into the air sytem (not good eh?) Mayby i should just use the inline valve and unhook it from the airboot, that way no condensation could get in the carb/ motor...Is the air coming into or out off the breather tube? My whole thinking could be wrong, im new to this (thumpers) and im still learning...

xxx.jpg

filter...

xx.jpg

Once way valve

X.jpg

Whole thing...

Thanks allot thumpertalk, you guys have been great, Hope to here some good suggestions and comments on what i did.

Edit, why arent my pics showing up in my post, i used the [/img] tags...?

I woulda let it alone. Just me though. Just drain the thing. Why did they make it plug like that. For a reason i would think because if they have the tube down there already, why not just let it drain like all the others :cry: So there prob is a reason for it being that way. :cry:

Yeah i see your point but... Its really doing the same thing as the stock set up it just drains itself, The stock set up (pluged hose) held the oi'/ condensated water in it until you drained it, and it didnt let anything back up into it (like dirt).

Now for my set up...It dosent let any dirt in through it, and it drains itself automatically. Its just saving me the hassle of draining it myself when i could be changing oil, cleaning air filters, changing tires, cleaning gear, or off course...riding. I didn some searches on TT and the internet and from what ive read i heard its best to have the breather hose not connected to the carb boot because it lets hot oily air into the motor...I guess honda did it for emisions crap...Im going to unhook the filter from the carb boot and plug the carb boot breather tube fitting. I also read one post saying it needs to eb connected to the intake to help pull condensation out, but many posts saying to unhook them and it adds power...Any thoughts on it needing some sort of vacume to work correctly...Come on guys help a brother out.

check out post 'is it dust or rust?' 1/31 ---I agree that moisture might be the culprit---especially how condensation can occur unevenly like on rt intakes[seats]---gonna warm bike up after washing & bring motor up to top dead center--per Eric Gorr's article in feb. dirt rider. going to check those vent hoses---wonder now if the inline filters could trap moisture---

From what im reading none of the carb vents have vacum so they dont need filtered. How do you know if its top dead center without removing that plug or taking the spark plug out? Well I lost my cell phone when i was riding my crf around my roads (i live in the boondocks) so im gonna go look for it...Its probally roadkill by now. :cry:

I left it on my other pants lol...Mom found it before she washed them. Now for the CRF, I unhooked the filter from where it goes into the carb boot an just left it hang there. And i plugged up the hole where the breather used to connect to the carb boot. When i tested it it seemed to run a tiny bit better, it could just be me but it felt liek it had a little more mid range power...riding wheeleies seemed a little more easy and controlable :cry: Ill go snap a picture and add it. Then Edit my original post.

to find top dead center, just slowly kick over till you feel most resistance[compression stroke]---you might also hear the decompressor click---youv'e got some room for error as valves remain closed for downward stroke[power stroke]