Sign in to follow this  

Brake Disc Protection

So here goes...

I took the front disc protector (the plastic one) off my X today in order to take the caliper off and install the TrailTech system, yadda, yadda. Here's my issue though...I kinda like the look of the bike better without the plastic on the front disc. Is this an un-wise move? Having the actual cover off, and being able to inspect it, it seeems to me that any sort of inpact (rock/etc) big enough to do damage to the disc or caliper isnt going to be stopped much by a peice of cheap plastic. If having the actual protection there, albeit cheap and plastic, is serving another purpose other than from huge rocks/etc then I'd be more than open to that info. Not to mention that most of the other big trail type bikes (WR, KTM's, XR, etc) dont have any protection at all.

Thoughts?

~Cheers,

Jeff

i took off the plastic covers on both the front and rear on my X cause they were flimsy as well as ugly... but i did put "shark fins" back on, i used Rooster products, they look great and are open so mud does not accumulate like it does with the original covers. check them out www.roosterperformance.com

I had a brake cover on my XR for a while, then it broke off in a crash and I never replaced it.

My feeling is the cover is only really useful to keep mud off the disk.

I think you're right, any impact hard enough to bend the rotor is just going to smash through the cover.

I second roosterperformance.com

THEY ROCK, there stuff is top of the line...

and that jacket was cheap over the holidays :cry:

Hey, I bought a front disc guard/protector and I think it came from Flatlands. Anyway, it is high impact polymer that comes stock, not cheap plastic. Still not sufficient if rocks fall into the disc. The cover is designed more towards keeping mud out of your brakes than being impact resistant, that is why I bought the guard. When I got the guard on, it was only then that I realized that the stock cover would not go back on w/the new guard in place. It sure looks great w/out it, but like I said, it serves another purpose and is needed if riding in muck. So I took a sidegrinder and cut a slot for the new guard to slip through and installed the stock cover over the new guard. Now I have both types of protection. If no mud or muck is involved, then I would say leave the stock cover off. Clint