Sign in to follow this  

Just put the 3.9 on

I bought the clear Clark 3.9 over Christmas for myself and just got around to installing it. Install went smoothly. I decided to put the little wire support on. It was easy to do and it can't hurt to have it there. The stupid Yamaha dealer charged me over $8 for the fuel cap vent tube. Ripoff.

I had to grind about 3/16 off the seat tab on the tank to the the rear of the seat would line up with the bolt holes and I bend down the tab that could rub against the tank.

ATTENTION: Check the inside of you tank before you install it. I found a ball of raw fiberglass attached to the inside of the tank. I had to get a long screwdriver and scrape it off the side. It was about 1/2" in diameter and was partially embedded into the plastic. Why there would be fiberglass in the tank, I don't know. I assume these tanks are injection molded in a steel die... :cry:

Someone posted that the process was "rotational molding" not injection, and that was why some of the tanks (especially IMS) have variations in their size, etc.

Maybe one of our fellow TTers can explain how its done. I know the IMS instructions tell you to clean the inside before you use it. I think that's pretty crappy. They ought to make the tank clean and ready to install before they ship it.