Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR 80 suspension???

I have a 1985 Honda XR 80.I am looking to upgrade on the suspension.I'm looking to increase travel as much as possible.What kind of shocks do you think I should look into.I have looked all over the web but can't seem to find anything for the 80.Also what fork kit should I get,or will any bigger bikes forks fit on the 80.Any suggestions would be very helpful.Thanks...

First, get an XR100, and then upgrade as necessary. The resale on an XR80 is as good, and many times better than an XR100 since they are harder to find. You should be able to get the 100 for no extra $ if you're deligent.

i dont know if any other bikes suspension fits that bike. but i know for sure that the bbr fork/shock springs made differnece like night and day :cry: thats probably the cheapest thing to do :cry:

The xr100 forks and shock wil fit because they are basically the same. The forks are just a little longer to accomodate the bigger front wheel. The shock is the same the 100 is a little higher because of the longer swingarm. It's the same suspension.

In 2001 they added about 1/2" more travel.

If you want suspension look at a 2stroke 80.

actually the 100 rear spring has thicker coils but the same height, I use one on an 80 and it makes a difference. the extra height comes from the longer swing-arm and larger wheel diameter for the rear

Ive read here you can take the fork springs out of a 100 and cut them down to fit too but I havnt done that yet.

I have been using 30w oil in the 80 forks which is OK but too stiff for rough off road

I'm going to try to cut the 100 springs for an 80.

I figure if I cut 15% off the springs will become 15% stiffer, no?

I'm wondering though if I should cut the tight coils or the loser ones up top?