Sign in to follow this  

Drag a knee or a foot? What's the rule?

Obviously, riding a sportbike or a motard requires two different riding styles. But why is it that?

For a high speed curve, on a motard you countersteer by pressing down on the bike and keeping your body upright, but on a sportbike you almost do the opposite. You have to keep the bike upright as much as possible and and hang your body off to the inside of the turn "dragging a knee".

Is it because of the weight of the bike? or maybe the centrifugal force of a 4cyl or v-twin motor? Or maybe still, it is eaiser to control a sliding rear tire when you are positioned over the top of a bike?

But then again i've seen some pics of guys dragging a knee on a motard. And at lower speeds, countersteering on a sportbike can sometimes be more effective. Whats the deal?

Dragging a knee doesn't do anything, but having your body weight on the inside of the turn and off the side of the bike lets you run the corner with less lean angle, therefore allowing you to run the corner at a faster speed for a given lean angle. This applies equally for SM and sportsbikes, but on many SM tracks it takes long to move your body around, and the speeds involved don't make a huge diff one way or the other. But at the end of the day you're probably best to go with what feels best :cry:

I have found that it depends on the track.

There are tracks that have long sweeping turns that running road race style is faster and more comfortable.

When you drop into tight 90-180 degree turn—motocross style with your foot out is the norm.

Most of it has to do with the rider as well. There is no rule for supermoto—that's what makes it so cool. On any given turn there might be one guy riding with his leg out and another with his knee down.

But at the national AMA tracks they almost always favor the motocross style.

Like Grange in So Cal, there are two turns that the front wheel just chatters so bad and the only way to get through it fast is to ride leaning into the turn road race style instead of straight over the bike or counter weighting.

Anything goes - it is whatever feels better and allows you to ride faster.

When a track has less traction going through and exiting a turn—than motocross style is preferred. This way you can use body english to adjust if the wheels start to push or slide.

The Euro riders are always drifting their bikes through the turns and they almost always run motocross style.

SMR

I heard about this real fast guy they called Nubby I guess he got the name since he doesn't have anything from the knees down.. But He sticks his knees out and drags boots..

Okay just a bad joke, :cry: Whatever gets you though the course the fastest bro.. :cry: Nubby .. hahahaha

I have always thought as you knee or foot as your third wheel when you ride, you use this third wheel as a tool to prevent a crash or to safe a potential fall. The track will be the deciding factor on which one to use. If the track is slick it is a lot harder to get it on you knee, it's a lot easier to use your foot. You can get you foot down any time. I use my foot almost all the time, the bike is closer to a dirt bike than a street bike. The street bike is heavier so hanging off of it helps make the turn easier. You using you body weight to help the turn, also the pegs are much higher so leaning it over isn't a problem with grinding the pegs. This is one of the other reason I us my foot, you lean a supermoto bike over to get it on the side of the tire and the peg is so folded up it is almost impossible to keep you foot on it. Every one had good suggestions on this and there is no right way, it's more of what works best for you.....DC

:cry: Who is this Chandker guy anyway? JK.

Thanks for your imput Doug we are not worthy, :cry: I hope to be in your school very soon. Your the man.