Sign in to follow this  

Starting In Gear...

The hare scramble season is coming up and I'm trying to get an early start at the preparation. However, 'ol blue doesn't want to cooperate. When its out of gear, it starts first kick hot or cold, doesn't matter. But, you put that feller in gear and it won't start for nothing. What's the problem? I plan on doing the washer mod on the clutch and go from there. The only reason I'm asking is because the class I'm racing is an open 4-stroke class and I need all the help I can get against the 450's and 525's on the straight open start. It's also a dead engine start. What can I do to make it start in gear?

I have heard that the washer mod does not work on yz's. I did it on mine and didn't notice any real difference; and yes, i did do it right :cry: The best solution is an after market clutch basket or plates. My bike still has the stock clutch assemb. and it is a struggle to get it started in gear, but i just ride for fun so i dont care.

open the plug gap to 0.045, and make sure you kick it as fast as you can kick it. you can also try disconnecting the lt. blue wire (neutral wire) and see if it helps. It used to help on the 02's for getting a brighter spark starting.

Oh yeh I forgot an important one too.

Get ahold of a old 400's clutch lever. It's a slip on/in replacement and gives the clutch a better throw so it doesnt drag as much.

The washer mod will help a little with any notchiness you might experience. I couldn't get my low hour 03' 250 in nuetral without it, but new plates is what you need. Go with moose or honda plates from an 04' crf 250. Also when your warming up your bike while on the starting line warm the clutch by pulling in the clutch, shift to low gear, hold the back brake, rev the motor, and then slip out the clutch for about 2 to 4 seconds and let off. Do this 3 or 4 times right before you kill your motor for the last time before the race starts. Also do this routine after you warm the clutch and the bike is still running: pull the clutch in, wick the throttle pretty good on and off a few times (this may cause the bike to slightly rumble or surge a little but thats ok), now shut the motor off with the clutch still in and leave it in until you start your bike to begin the race. Try this with or without new clutch plates.

The hare scramble season is coming up and I'm trying to get an early start at the preparation. However, 'ol blue doesn't want to cooperate. When its out of gear, it starts first kick hot or cold, doesn't matter. But, you put that feller in gear and it won't start for nothing. What's the problem? I plan on doing the washer mod on the clutch and go from there. The only reason I'm asking is because the class I'm racing is an open 4-stroke class and I need all the help I can get against the 450's and 525's on the straight open start. It's also a dead engine start. What can I do to make it start in gear?

A typical scramble is roughly two hours long. The start is not nearly as critical as it is on an mx track. I am betting you will make up the time very quickly with the bikes weight and agility.