Sign in to follow this  

Edelbrock carb issues

I installed a new edelbrock carb on my xr4. I can not get the bike to start. I have gone through the carb twice checking the baseline settings. I've kicked it forever. I've rolled it down hill and towed it behind my truck trying to catch it in gear. No luck, so I put my stock carb back on it started right up. So I went back to the edelbrock. I adjusted the idle to mid-range metering both richer and leaner as-per the instructions. The accelerator pump is working fine. I tried to contact edelbrock but could not get a hold of anyone. Left messages, but no call back was made by them. The only thing that I can not do is use the enrichener lever, because I don't think that my carb has one. Really need some help here, planning some riding on Sunday, temps will be in the 60's here. Cory

Not to be condascending but does the carb have fuel in it, and is that fuel getting through the intake? What jetting are you using for that pumper?

The first thing to do is turn up the idle a lot and this is just temporary right now to get the bike started for the first time. I'm not talking about adjusting the thumb screw on top of the carb, but the knob that's hanging by the cable. Turn that knob clockwise a good couple times. If the throttle slide is closed all the way or too much due to the idle screw being set too low, you'll never get the bike started. Once it's started, then turn the idle back down to normal and you can leave it there from now on when starting your bike.

The only other thing that I can think of is your starting procedure. If the idle is correctly set and the gas is turned on, then give the throttle 3 or 4 quick full twists. Now kick the bike over and it should fire right up. If you twist the throttle slowly, the fuel for the pump circuit gets returned to the bowl by design instead of squirting into the intake. When the bike is warm, you simply kick without giving it any throttle, but when its cold, you want to give the throttle a couple quick twists before kicking it over.

These carbs are wet tested, so I doubt it's a manufacturing problem. If you bought it from Barnum's you would have already been able to discuss your problem on the telephone.

Qadsan's owned...I don't know, how many of these carbs??. I can't think of much else he didn't already mention. I can say that as my bike has sat in the garage through the winter, when I started it up last weekend, I had to snap the throttle several times, just to get fuel moving through the carb.

Since the fuel line is clear, I noticed the fuel wasn't moving. Very strange, but I think the pump wasn't accepting fuel until I worked it several times.

I may drain my edelbrock entirely next winter, but I alway's like keeping stableized fuel in the tank/carb, so I could start her up when I got bored in the winter. :cry:

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out.

When I first installed mine it was really hard to start. I fiddled with the adjustment screw on the top (the red knob) and got it going. It's probably still too lean. I haven't been able to really give it a good run (far too cold here) but it is going.

One thing I noticed - and got some help here with - is that simply turning the red knob without opening the throttle itself does nothing. You have to twist the throttle open so that the red knob engages properly. This is not easy to do as the red knob is in a very inconvenient location to get to. Get someone to hold the throttle open while you feel around by working the knob back and forth. When it catches, THEN you can adjust it. Try going richer first.

You may know this - just telling you the issues I had.

Good luck. And by all means call Barnums.

I just had similar problems, I have mine set at 7 clicks form full rich, 15e needle. When it is cold I have to turn the idle adjuster up 3-4 turns to get it to fire. Like said in the previous posts, give a few blips of throttle. You might try a new plug as well. Good luck