Sign in to follow this  

California trail SEX

Are you feeling satisfied with the screwing you have been getting from our OHV commissioners? The OHV commission is the one that gives the final OK as to how our OHV grant money is spent in California. The OHV commission is on the governors list of commissions to be disbanded. In the next few days, many of the OHV related organizations in California will be trying to get us to send in letters to either the governor or the California Little Hoover Commission to show that we no longer want the OHV commission. PLEASE SUPPORT THE ELIMINATION of the OHV commission.

How many miles of NEW trails have you seen in the last 3 years? How many miles of trails have you seen shut down in the last 3 years?

For those of you near Sacramento, are you enjoying the property that the OHV commission helped purchase as a buffer for Prarrie City? It's only a few miles away from the Prarrie City OHV park.

Last year the OHV commission granted $500,000.00 of OUR ohv money to help convert a few miles of old logging roads back into a condition matching their surrounding terrain. This was in a state park that has never been a legal OHV riding area.

Two of the commissioners are pro OHV, one is a member of the Sierra Club, one had to give up his postion as head of one of the environmental groups so that he could be on the commission, one can't keep track of what he is voting on and the last one is fairly neutral.

When I get more information on where to write, I'll post it.

Keep informed and keep active!

Ride on

Brewster

Right On Bruce! :cry::cry::cry: Keep us informed. It's always po'd me that they spend our green sticker money on law enforcement to bust us instead of opening up new trails so the ever increasing amount of 2 and 4 wheel riders have a place to go.

rockchucker22;

I got the letter writing info yesterday, Friday, at the OHV meeting in Sacramento from Dave Pickett, AMA district 36. He said that there will be a state wide alert from AMA district 36 and 38, the Blue Ribbon coalition, and several of the other non motorcycle off road groups.

The letters will have to be received by next Friday, Feb 11th. You can write your own letters and get several signatures on it. The people signing it don't have to have an OHV.

This link is to the OHV division web site. It has links to other information.

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21853

Thank you for your interest. Keep informed and keep active.

Brewster

Morningrider;

The OHV link was just for background information. The letters should go to the governor and California Little Hoover commision, NOT the OHV commission or division.

At the OHV meeting yesterday, the commissioners voted to send a letter in requesting to keep the OHV commission.

We, the OHV community, want to get rid of the OHV commission. The OHV division will still be intact.

Maybe a description of how the funding process works would be helpfull.

Money from gas taxes is sent from the federal govenment to the state. Our OHV division is responsible for allocating these funds for OHV projects.

Once a year, grant requests from different agencies are sent in to the OHV division. A grant request is a request for money for a project. An agency can be a city, county, federal agency (forest dept. or BLM) or non-profit group.

The grant request is screened by the OHV division to make sure that it has all of the required information and meets the criteria for OHV funding.

The OHV division will then assign a recommended dollar amount to the fund request or deny the request. The amount of money funded MUST be divided up by defined percentage amounts for conservation, restoration, law enforcement, and maintenance and operation. All of this is covered in section 5090. of the California Public Resources Code.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/prc/5090.01-5090.12.html

For 2005, these are the dollar amounts that the commissioners have established;

Conservation $1.4 million

Law Enforcement $3.0 million

Restoration $ 7.3 million

Operating and Maintenance $6.3 million

Restoration is returning a trail or road to look like the surrounding area.

Operating and Maintenance is the funding for trail repairs, new trails, signing, staging area maintenance, etc comes from.

The fund request is then presented to the OHV commissioners. In a meeting that is open to the public, the commissioners hear public comment on each request and then decide if the grant request will be denied or funded and they can and do change the funding amounts.

The problem is that a majority of the commission is NOT OHV friendly. They dictate what type of projects will funded. That is why over the last few years, very little money has been available for trail maintenance, new trails, the new trail sections of trail rerouts, the maintenance of staging areas.

But they have funded the closure and restoration of MANY miles of trials, not all of which are in recognised OHV use areas!!!!

I hope that gives you all an overview of the process.

As for the money that we pay for our green/red stickers, most of that gets siphoned off to non OHV areas. Only about 17% of the OHV funding comes from the green sticker fund. The dispersion of the green sticker money comes under the California Motor Vehicle Code sections 38225. 38225.4, 38225.5, and 38230.

Keep informed and keep active

Brewster

Bastages! So, Bruce, when do we find out about the sex part? :cry: Just kidding. Keep us informed. I'll write a letter. bp

I'll throw this into the mix - I understand the commission isn't representing our interests well, but what happens if the commission doesn't exist and there is no representation for OHV use? Is it possible that in the absence of a commission, OHV funds could be robbed completely by the state or the whole program eliminated? It seems to me elimination of the commission could be a backdoor for environmentalists to completely eliminate OHV use or kill the green sticker program. If we are going to eliminate the only representation that we have other than green/red sticker income, there had better be a method in place to communicate and represent our interests to the state. I hate government, but government bureaucracy is a fact of modern life and the absence of a bureaucracy to eliminate can make for easy pickings of any government program. Maybe we should be lobbying for replacement of the commissioners instead of eliminating them? Or can the OHV division stand on its own hind legs without a commission so that it can fight for the funding that is ours?

spodelee

spodelee;

From what I've seen at the OHV meetings, our interests would be better served by the OHV Division. The comissioners are appointed for 4 year terms but, at the end of the 4 years, they are automatically reappointed, no review or input from the public. Take a look at this site to see which government body appoints how many of the commissioners and also check the bio of the commissioners;

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21853

Now, check which politcal partys the appointing government officials belong to.

Getting the commission removed will be much easier, especially right now while the Little Hoover Commission and the governor are looking for ways of reducing the state government.

I do appreciate that you have read and taken interest in this matter!

Ride on

Brewster

Brewster,

I want to help but I'm confused now (and dont want to direct my efforts to the wrong area).

Could you or someone please post the correct address these letters should go to? I'm just not seeing it in any of the above posts.

Thanks, Mark

As soon as I hear back from AMA d36, I'll post the mailing info. Please get the letter ready.

Ride on

Brewster

I think this needs constant bumping.

After reading through the OHV commissions 10/04 meeting minutes :cry: I was flabergasted.

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/minutes.pdf

The largest chunk of monies allocated went to a project having absolutely nothing to do with OHV's. Only two people spoke out against it, and only one nay from the comittee. Apparently this is legal, though it certainly should not be.

Lets get rid of these guys, seems like a good start.

I think this needs constant bumping.

After reading through the OHV commissions 10/04 meeting minutes :cry: I was flabergasted.

http://www.ohv.parks.ca.gov/pages/1140/files/minutes.pdf

The largest chunk of monies allocated went to a project having absolutely nothing to do with OHV's. Only two people spoke out against it, and only one nay from the comittee. Apparently this is legal, though it certainly should not be.

Lets get rid of these guys, seems like a good start.

Of the two people that spoke out, Bruce Brazil = Brewster

Thanks for researching what is going on!!!!

Keep informed and keep active!!

Ride on

Brewster

The next interesting part of this fleecing of OHV funds would be to ask for the records of how the funds were spent or recommend that the commission be briefed on expenditures with an itemized matrix from all of the departments that were allocated funds.

Which leads me to another thought...if there are funds for restoration why are there so many volunteer groups of TTalkers and others providing the manpower and time to restore the trails. :cry: Not that it is a bad thing but how much goes to overhead costs (pens, pencils, upgrades to department bikes, department specific graphics, etc.) :cry: and how much actually goes to restoration. I see alot of first time DUI'ers doing community service on weekends carrying orange bags along the freeway to pick up trash. How about some brush clearing and trail maintenance?

My 2 cents.

hmrland;

The grant information you asked about can be found here;

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=23520

"Restoration". The commissioners got the legal definition in the California Public Resources Code of Restoration to read;

5090.11. "Restoration" means, upon closure of the unit or any

portion thereof, the restoration of land to the contours, the plant

communities, and the plant covers comparable to those on surrounding

lands or at least those that existed prior to off-highway motor

vehicle use.

They used that definition to deny grants for trail maintenance. Sucks, doesn't it?

It's good hearing that some of you are interested enough to do some research. I'm not a guru on the subject, just a very concerned OHV enthusiast.

Keep informed and keep active

Brewster

I just read the minutes of the Oct. 29th meeting... fleecing at it's finest. :cry:

Brewster, why didn't the AMA representative speak up on this issue of funds being used for unrelated purposes? Is that not a large part of the reason people pay membership dues to be in the AMA? If not, it should be!

I am new to dirt biking and have been trying to decide which organization I want to join to help keep riding areas open... I am no closer to making that decision. Can any of you provide some direction as to where my membership money would do the most good? :cry:

:cry::cry:

once again i see how full of crap our govt is. of all the money requested most were given half or less of their request except on things totally unrelated to ohvs. i think the commission has to go.

I just read the minutes of the Oct. 29th meeting... fleecing at it's finest. :cry:

Brewster, why didn't the AMA representative speak up on this issue of funds being used for unrelated purposes? Is that not a large part of the reason people pay membership dues to be in the AMA? If not, it should be!

I am new to dirt biking and have been trying to decide which organization I want to join to help keep riding areas open... I am no closer to making that decision. Can any of you provide some direction as to where my membership money would do the most good? :cry:

Ted;

Actually, I think that the main reason folks join the AMA is so that they can enter competitions.

In my opinion, the Blue Ribbon Coalition give us the best results for our money as far as protecting our riding areas.

Ride on

Brewster

hmrland;

The grant information you asked about can be found here;

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=23520

"Restoration". The commissioners got the legal definition in the California Public Resources Code of Restoration to read;

5090.11. "Restoration" means, upon closure of the unit or any

portion thereof, the restoration of land to the contours, the plant

communities, and the plant covers comparable to those on surrounding

lands or at least those that existed prior to off-highway motor

vehicle use.

They used that definition to deny grants for trail maintenance. Sucks, doesn't it?

So by rough calculations a little over 2 mil was granted to "enforcement". I would guess (based on the incredible amount of cash that is allocated/granted) that we should see at least one salaried "enforcement" person every weekend at all OHV locations in SoCal and these employees should have top of the line "enforcement" equipment in case someone wants to flee the scene for a decibel infraction. :cry: These "enforcement" staff would also be writing tickets for infractions (which is their job) and the monies from these tickets go to..........hmmmm.........oh yeah support of "enforcement" actions. :cry:

I would take a wild guess and say that if SoCal OHV riders were given 2 mil or even 1 mil (and leave the rest for the "enforcement" staff) to take care of/ maintain/restore the OHV areas you would have a ton of volunteers and the areas would be in most cases better that what they are now.

Can't wait to write the check for my green sticker renewal.