Sign in to follow this  

Valve clearance spec

Hey guys. I did a search, and wasn't able to find what I was looking for...so if it's out there, feel free to point me to it.

...that said. I have a 2004 TRX450R, which is basically the same top end as the CRF, but with stainless intake and exhaust as far as I know. I am doing my first valve clearance check, and I measured 0.16mm and 0.14mm on the two intakes, and 0.26mm (0.0105") and 0.21mm (0.0085") on the exhausts.

My owners manual only says exact numbers and doesn't give a range of "safe" values. According to the manual, the intakes should be 0.006" (0.16mm) and the exhaust should be 0.011" (0.28mm).

I'm sure my intakes are fine, but is my right exhaust valve (the 0.21mm one) still within a "safe" value? Does anyone have a Honda Service Manual? I really don't want to re-shim yet if I don't have to. :cry:

That's perfect! Thanks!

It looks like I'll have to shim that valve...The service manual only gives +/-0.03 mm variance. The left exhaust valve is still in spec at the tight end of that, but the right exhaust valve is pretty far out...