Sign in to follow this  

ttr125 under water.....HELP!!

Hey guys, tonight I got a call from my brother in law, his boy was riding his new 1 month old 2005 ttr125 into a huge mud puddle, and went down, putting the bike under water, it died(who would have thought it), they pulled it out of the water, pulled the plug out turned the bike upsidedown, ran the kick start a few times flipped it back drained the airbox, flipped it over again, flipped it back, I guess it started, and the ran it the rest of the day, a few hours, it was smoking pretty good he said, so they went home, he got home drained the oil, full of water also, he said he ran diesel fuel through it(without starting it) and then flushed the oil 9 times, he started it and says its making a ticking sound from the motor and smokes like a train, he called me to come look at it tomorrow, as I have worked on my own bikes, and he knows nothing about working on anything with a motor, what I am looking for is anything you guys think I should look for, as I have never had a bike under water before, and never took apart a ttr before(hope its like my honda), any ideas would help me alot, as I am going over there tomorrow afternoon, the bike is bone stock by the way, I will check back as often as I can before I go...thanks guys you are great!!

When you get a bike underwater as he did, the right thing to do is put it on the truck and go home. Then all of those things he did might have saved the motor.

By running it the way they did, they destroyed the motor. I'd say it needs a complete rebuild.

But that's just a blind guess of course. Without going into the motor I couldn't even guess the damage. I'd say at the very least, assuming there is no damage to any moving parts, it is going to need all new bearings and rings.

Just a little story for you guys,About 10 years ago my youngest son did the same thing to a xr 100.I didn't see him fall so i didn't know how bad it was (his mom picked him up )Well they got it going some how about the time I got there,she said she thought it got a LITTLE water in it SO we rode it back to the truck.Well we got it home and i started looking at it (can you say mud)it was full and smoking by this point! I was trying to get out cheap(every time i try to save $$$$ it cost me more $$$) so i just pulled the motor and tried to clean it out best as possible with out splitting the cases.So with new rings and gaskits we were off again!In about an hour it started blowing smoke again!We took it home again and pulled the motor again flushed again and again!New rings and gaskits and off we went!In about an hour YUP,you guessed it SMOKE!!!By this point I was done with trying to save $$$$$so we pulled the motor AGAIN, but this time a complete tear down!!I could not believe how much sand grit and trash there was left in the bottom end!!

molal of the story: do it once do it right and save the time and money

It will only cost you under 200$ to fix if you do the labor yourself.

Piston, rings, gaskets, some beer, and its all better! If you have access to a parts washer you may want to put the cases in them after they are split.

Wait, dont you have a warranty on the bike? They might not cover it though.

You need to split the cases. The bearings are junk, the ringsare shot, you probably even need a new crank assembly, wrist pin, etc....Good luck.

Yup... the oil should have been immediately drained.

Oil and water make a really cool but bad tasting substitute for mayonaisse with similar lubricating properties. :cry:

Hey guys, tonight I got a call from my brother in law, his boy was riding his new 1 month old 2005 ttr125 into a huge mud puddle, and went down, putting the bike under water, it died(who would have thought it), they pulled it out of the water, pulled the plug out turned the bike upsidedown, ran the kick start a few times flipped it back drained the airbox, flipped it over again, flipped it back, I guess it started, and the ran it the rest of the day, a few hours, it was smoking pretty good he said, so they went home, he got home drained the oil, full of water also, he said he ran diesel fuel through it(without starting it) and then flushed the oil 9 times, he started it and says its making a ticking sound from the motor and smokes like a train, he called me to come look at it tomorrow, as I have worked on my own bikes, and he knows nothing about working on anything with a motor, what I am looking for is anything you guys think I should look for, as I have never had a bike under water before, and never took apart a ttr before(hope its like my honda), any ideas would help me alot, as I am going over there tomorrow afternoon, the bike is bone stock by the way, I will check back as often as I can before I go...thanks guys you are great!!

Happened to us before but ours was ditched in the river for 5hours after being stolen. What we did was flip the bike up side down take the plug... pour oil in the plug hole clena the plug put it in and kick for a looong time to flush it through. Change the oil. get the bike hot then change it out a few more times. Also unbolting the head pipe will make the water srain out instean of flowing back in the engine.

That's identical to what my friend did on his TTR 225....identical to the point where it's scary. :cry:

And sure enough, he ended up rebuilding everything, 2 or 3 times, sucks bro. :cry: