[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

did vs rk masterlink ?

Ok guys so my DRZ-S has a RK 520 RX chain on it. I take it it's an o-ring chain (because it has o-rings :cry: ). Anyway it has no masterlink but I would like to install one so I went to my local dealer and he gave me a DID o-ring masterlink saying that it fits the RK no problem but I'm not so sure. Before I'm cutting my chain I want to make sure first. Nobody stocks RK masterlinks near me so I had no choice but to trust that guys word :cry: Also is there any drawbacks to masterlinks ?

PS I want to be able to remove the chain because the bike is going to be towed behind a car for some 400 miles and I don't want the countershaft to turn like crazy at 80-90 miles an hour ! It's one of those trailers where the rear wheel is going to be on the tar.

I have been using a DID O-ring master link on my stock S chain for over 2500 miles. My DID links works like they was made for the chain, my links are Gold if that makes a difference.

My links are gold too but I'm sure the S did not come stock with a gold chain ? If so, wow :cry: I measured the new link (DID) and it is 1mm smaller in the mid section than my RK links :cry: But they are the same width and the holes lign up perfectly.

I got a couple RK masterlinks for my stock chain from TT store, think they are 3 bucks. I did it because I have two chains, stocker for 15/41 gearing on SM wheels and a longer but same model RK O ring chain for 14/49 gearing on stock wheels. I didn't want to use the same chain on two different sets of sprockets. So now I have 3 RK master links, one for each chain and a spare.

I would say order an RK link just be sure. Put the RK in and use the DID as a spare. If you have a micrometer and can be sure the DID and RK pins are the same diameter and length you are probably ok just using the DID link, IMHO, your mileage may vary etc....

Ok guys so my DRZ-S has a RK 520 RX chain on it. I take it it's an o-ring chain (because it has o-rings :cry: ). Anyway it has no masterlink but I would like to install one so I went to my local dealer and he gave me a DID o-ring masterlink saying that it fits the RK no problem but I'm not so sure. Before I'm cutting my chain I want to make sure first. Nobody stocks RK masterlinks near me so I had no choice but to trust that guys word :cry:Also is there any drawbacks to masterlinks ?

PS I want to be able to remove the chain because the bike is going to be towed behind a car for some 400 miles and I don't want the countershaft to turn like crazy at 80-90 miles an hour ! It's one of those trailers where the rear wheel is going to be on the tar.

Regarding what I underlined and italicized: I have not looked at an "S" chain but from my experience you have a master link. If you look carefully at the chain, you will see that one link has larger peened pins on it. This is a "riveted" master link". This is the one that I remove. The drawbacks to a "clip" type master link is that they can be put on backwards, which could cause the clip to catch and get tore off while you are riding. And, the clips will wear and become weak if the bike is riden in abrasive soil conditions.

I would not be afraid of using the RK masterlink. Just make sure you install it at home before you leave on your trip. They do not go on easy (or come off easily for that matter) and you don't want to be away from home and not have the tools you need. It is always a good idea to have a spare masterlink in your pouch when you are riding. The chain is usually rather easy to find if it comes off but, the master link, that's another story!

as long as the pin daimeter looks the same I wouldn't worry about .

Now my RK MZV3 gold motocross, That chain has much larger pins and I wouldn't use a generic master unless emergency. But with stock chain in your case that DID master is probably the same