UK question ref "road kit"

Blokey selling a WR250F with what seems to be a pucca road conversion kit says:

"Its what came with the bike when I purchased it new. Front and rear lights, indicators, speedo, ignition barrell and keys, wing mirrors and a few other odds and ends."

The 2003 WR I just bought has none of this. The guy has suggested I make him an offer but I have no idea as to value and it would be silly to pay new price just through ignorance! Anyone know what the hell I am wibbling on about and might give a clue as to a comparable source of new and, especially, an approx value please?

Brian

I think the UK road kit is about £350-£400 but I have no idea what you get with it. The front and rear lights are standard. My 2004 WR came with lights and an odometer which I replaced with a speedo. I have none of the other things either...

• 1 month later...

I can only assume that part of the road kit also includes extra wiring and connectors to allow at least for the fact that there is a connection going from a handlebar switch to the "new" rear indicators. The standard connector only has wiring for the rear light although there is space in the connector for what would have been the brake light wire.

Hi Flip.

The WR isn't due an MOT for a while. I am only going to use it for green laning and LDTs. If you are leading a run, it really helps to have indicators and a mirror. Also, for overnight LDTs, a proper dipping headlight helps. Would also like to fit the horn. I only bought 75% of a UK roadkit that someone had left in their garage after their WR was nicked so am trying to see what is missing.

Thanks for the response though - good to see some UKers on here. The Yahoo Group is pants.

Brian

Exeter

Hi Brian, I take your point about leading a run. Im usually way at the back so dont have that problem :naughty: Also, I try to keep the bike as "lean" as possible, as little to smash as possible! I've got an 01 WR but I *think* its all the same.

The bulb in your headlight is a dual filament so can be wired up for low beam (stock defaults to high beam). There's loads of info on thumpertalk but start here: - How do I wire the headlight...

Your brake light has the same deal going, but you will need to get hydraulic switches on your brake lines. Again, there's loads of info but start looking here: - Brake lite - where can I find it

Im pretty sure the 03 is the first WR to have an electric start. This *should* mean that you'll be able to whack a horn straight onto the bike (the 01 has no battery and runs on AC... no horn at the mo!)

Indicators and mirrors I cant really help with, but I do remember DemonTweaks do some rubber "flexi" indicators that should stand up to the occasional binning. Switch gear you should be able to find on ebay for pennies.

Hope this helps!

flip

Hi, I'm trying to get some of the parts of the road kit, I think the kit comes with a different wiring loom. I spoke with an Aussie guy and he said the get a wiring kit so they can remove all the road kit and revert to the way our UK models are. Do you have any part numbers for the kit parts you have? I would appreciate if you could pass them on, the only part I have so far is the Hydraulic brake switch.

:naughty:

Do you have any part numbers for the kit parts you have? I would appreciate if you could pass them on, the only part I have so far is the Hydraulic brake switch.

:naughty:

Hi Robert. This whole road kit thing seems to be a mystery. The dealers will happily sell you one but as to exactly what's in it, part numbers, individual prices, etc, who knows? I can't believe that someone else hasn't got this sorted but who are they and how do we get in touch with them :naughty:

Clearly its not just a UK thang...

Brian

PS More worried about the trail of oil I left after a quick warm up on my WR last night. Been out house hunting (need a very large gun for that :D ) this morning and haven't had the chance to check out whether its the sprocket seal or... something else... yet.

Hi Gaz

I only use my bikes for trail riding or green laning and, as I mentioned before, if you are leading a group on a run it helps to have mirrors (to check your mates are still behind you) and indicators (so that you can show them which way you are going next whilst keeping both hands free to keep bike upright and pointing in the right direction.

Brian

Ride it like you don't want to lose the lanes ;o)

My 04 250F has the road kit, its a spanish import but I'm pretty sure the kit is the same.

Diff headlight, bigger than std and has dip beam.

Switch gear on handle bars (horn, indicators,main beam) quality kit now my old '99 WR400 model had a cheap switch as seen on Gas Gas and TMs.

There is no ignition switch, just a steering lock.

2 steel support bars to support the extra weight of the rear indictors and hideously long number plate board & reflector.

Extra wiring loom for indicators etc.

brake light switch rear only.

different spring for side stand, so it auto retracts aka ducati road bikes, horrible replaced with std.

A few jets & needle.

Exhaust fitted with a little turn down pipe (pop riveted) with E marking.

think that it.

Cheers Shane.

That's really helpful - many thanks :naughty:

The only bits I seem to be missing are the steering lock and extra wiring loom. How do I get the part numbers - anyone know?

Brian

PS In addition to the bits you list, I have got a "proper" speedo and a horn. Also the exahust sounds quite civilised with the little downpipe fitted :naughty:

Good point forgot the speedo and horn. Speedo nice quality with idiot lights etc, not easy to remove with all the little wires for back lighting etc. No idea on part numbers I'm afraid. If you want the steering lock you can have it, I've removed and wont be re-fitting. Cheers Shane.

p.s I broke the indicators on my '99 moel and replaced with GasGas ones (also used on the CCMs) as these are proper bendy ones and were about £8 each I think.

• 2 weeks later...

the bigger headlight refered to earlier is of a ttr250 the housing is also fitted with the road kit it has the hole already cut out for the steering lock to be located in were in the uk are you guys located? i am in manchester. p.s the ride it like you stole it is for the track only i am a current member of the manchester (trf) trail riders federation and do ride responsibly wen out on the lanes i know wot threat we are currently facing as our group is currently active in subbmiting byway claims to the local council this is costing ££££'s and we need more members :naughty: