Sign in to follow this  

2005 KX250F Valve Train

the service manual was posted on this forum somewhere. I have 50+ hours on all parts of my engine. I do not see why the cam chain would need to replaced every 15 hours as long as it was always tight and the oil was changed often.

50 hours?!?! what manual are you looking in. Kawasaki recommends top end every 30 hours in which you do the valves, springs, buckets, piston and rings. I think it suggests changing the timing chain with a top end rebuild also. It's pretty expensive from what i know, and every 30 hours is a little soon but if something goes out, it usually destroys a lot.

cam chain is like 30$, whole new motor is like 2500+.....i'd change it when i do the top end.

I did not say I was following the serivce manual just that I had this amount of time on my motor. I know the service manual is far less than 50 hours.

I did not say I was following the serivce manual just that I had this amount of time on my motor. I know the service manual is far less than 50 hours.

my fault, i was in a hurry when responding and overlooked that. ya, the service manual has really low times on intervals. If you keep up your clearances and don't over-rev your bike hard then you should be fine to almost double what the book calls for life-span.