Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket Goodies for a CRF250R

What are your suggestions on Must have aftermarket stuff before you take this pony to the track? I’m a novice racer, starting my first season of racing. Let me know what you think. Thanks

What are your suggestions on Must have aftermarket stuff before you take this pony to the track?

If you're in the weight range for the stock suspension (160 - 180 lb???), you shouldn't need any mods as this bike has a performance envelope far beyond novice level in stock form. Outside that weight range, you might need to respring. In my experience, you might want to consider HD inner tubes (stock are pretty flimsy), but if you don't hit many rocks, even that may not be necessary. Your best aftermarket investments will probably be in high quality gear (helmet, boots, knee braces, gloves, etc.) a stop watch and maybe some "How To Ride" videos. Other than that, pick up a service manual and stay on top of all maintenance issues.

What are your suggestions on Must have aftermarket stuff before you take this pony to the track? I’m a novice racer, starting my first season of racing. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Yes. A real chain.

Get a DID x-ring or ERT. I prefer the x-ring because it just doesn't stretch which makes your sprockets last much longer.

Also check those spokes before and after you ride it!

I agree with Skipn8r. The first thing I do to a new bike is look for proper springs that match up with my weight. I also go out and immediately buy an extended fuel screw (my personal preference is Kouba) and an aluminum throttle tube. I'll also safety wire each grip in three places. I'm kinda crash prone, and the first right side crash usually explodes the plastic throttle tube into a million pieces. The second crash with the aluminum tube on usually tears the crap out of the grips, but the safety wire keeps them together. As you can probably guess, my local track can sometimes be dry and super hard like riding on concrete.

Chris.

All good suggestions, Don't forget the larger footpegs especially if you have used them on your previous bike!