Sign in to follow this  

200exc or wr250?

Coming from a ttr125 would I like the 200's power? Im considering it because of its low weight and price. im 5'9" and 150" and am looking to buy either the wr or the 200exc. Any experiences of going from a small bore 4 stroke to a 2 stroke, or any other commnets would be helpful.

Coming from a ttr125 would I like the 200's power? Im considering it because of its low weight and price. im 5'9" and 150" and am looking to buy either the wr or the 200exc. Any experiences of going from a small bore 4 stroke to a 2 stroke, or any other commnets would be helpful.

they're both good bikes. the 200EXC is lighter, more powerful, handles better, is simpler to maintain, and can be easily restarted after sucking water.

i would get the WR!! thats the bike i am going to be getting and i also am currently ridin a ttr125 so it will be a big step up!!

i would get the WR!! thats the bike i am going to be getting and i also am currently ridin a ttr125 so it will be a big step up!!

uummm, you think he should get the WR because YOU'RE getting one?

uummm, you think he should get the WR because YOU'RE getting one?

uhh no thats stupid!! i suggested it because its a very good bike!

They're both great bikes. No doubt.

First, the opinion disclaimer: What follows is my opinion and my opinion only. It is highly likely that you, being not me, have a different opinion. The very nature of opinions is that there is no definitive "right" or "wrong" one. When you really think about it, if we all thought the same there really would be no need to build and market different bikes now would there? Get my drift? Are we cool????

Also, I now own a KTM 200 EXC which I love. I'm biased.

Okay, I find the maintenance on the modern four strokes a bit of a chore. Maybe it's just me. I've had both (2 stroke and modern 4), and it just takes more effort and time to keep the 4s running right. If you're into that, fine. Working on bikes is therapy for some. It's not for me. Just know that it's not going to be like owning your TTR if you go to the WR. Both are more performance oriented so parts and TLC is going to run higher with either than you are probably currently used to.

In fairness, you may feel more "at home" on a four stroke though. A 2 stroke is different. I came off an XR (many moons ago), and it was a pretty big adjustment. 2 strokes don't slow down when you let off the gas. This can be a shock to your riding style -- especially coming off a TTR. However, the modern 4s don't slow down that much either. You'd probably like the traction of the WR also. They do put the power down well. The 200 probably would feel lighter. However, you may, believe it or not, not like this. It may not feel as "planted" to you. Still, no matter what your choice, the biggest adjustment will be just coming off a TTR to either bike. Once you learn to ride a modern 4 or 2 stroke, flopping between the two just isn't that big of a deal. Buy both.

Again, just my opinion.

How can you compare a 200EXC with a WR250? If I wanted something to race out of the two it would be the EXC. The WR250 is a great bike but should be compared to a 125 not a 200EXC. I can tell you have never rode both bikes. I think you would be happy with the WR.

:cry: Are you talking about an older Yamaha WR250 2 stroke or a WR250F 4 stroke, or maybe a Husky WR250 2 stroke? All good bikes. Yamaha WR250 2 strokes still had quite a hit in the powerband for a woods bike, maybe not the best novice 2 stroke bike.

Norman

The 200EXC is an awesome bike. My friend has one and I've ridden it in the woods. It does everything well. :cry:

I'm assuming that you are looking at the WR 4 stroke. I hear a lot of people down them as "not true race bikes". Personally, I wouldn't get caught up in that mentality. For woods, as both are intended, both are very, very capable. IMHO, it really comes down to the rider. Both bikes have more capability than most riders have talent (including me). Again, just my opinion. The same guy that will stop people on a WR will stomp them on an EXC or probably even an old claped out XR. Again, I'm not talking about MX here.

All I'm saying is don't get caught up in which bike you think is the fastest or the "experts" say work best. It may not work best for you. Become proficient with either bike and you'll be faster than most (in the woods).

:cry: I have ridden them both in the same day.They are both AWESOME bikes!!!!!!!! I think they both are very good woods bikes I was so surprised by the KTM low-end you can really lug the crap out of it for a two-stroke.That thing climbs great but still has a two-storke hit up on the top-end.The four-stroke WR is just so easy to do everthing on woods a little track all around great bike.If I was going to race hare scrambles or some type of racing probably the KTM other than that just riding with friends in the woods I would get the WR.Just my opinion.Good Luck on your choice. :cry::cry::cry:

A buddy has a KTM200 and no garage so he leaves it in mine. I can ride it if I want to. Its a nice bike but I like my WR250 better.

I don't like the suspension on the KTM but it is nice and light and has a good motor.

His KTM is a 2003.

My WR isn't as harsh as the KTM. It also takes the big hits better and steers better. When I ride behind him I can see the front end deflecting off of stuff that my WR absorbs. My buddy is not good at setting up his suspension so that is probably part of it. My WR also has a steering dampener, the front end is nervous in the rocks without it.

I don't think the 200 would be a bad choice for a woman as its lower and lighter. The motor might be a bit much.

The e-button on the WR is nice especially when you are tired.

I don't see how you could go wrong with either bike.

I have a 200 MXC and my husband rides the WR250F, so I have experience with both bikes. First off I would like to say is that both bikes are kick a$$ bikes!!! After riding my KX100, I have really developed a love for 2 strokes. I went with the 200 because of the weight and the lower seat height. After riding the 200 I was surprised how much low end the bike actually has for a 2 stroke. The power is pretty smooth, and since the bike is in a 125 chasis it feels pretty nimble. The bike climbs well and manuvers pretty well too. The turning radias is smaller and KTMs don't corner as nice as the Yamis do stock. The KTM does feel a lot lighter than the WR. The WR250F definetly feels more torquey and like all four strokes has a larger power range. I was surprised when I rode my husband's WR because it felt like there was power all across the band. I twisted the throttle and the bike just kept making power until WOT. (Keep in mind my husbands all the free mods plus some.) I would gather the KTM has more HP, but I would guess the WR beats the KTM in torque. Both bikes are fast and make great woods bikes. It is all about the personality. The KTM is a 2 stroke, although it is set up for woods, it still has a little hit. If you can ride both bikes that would probably help you make your decision. Good Luck!!! :cry: