Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

'88 XR250R Restoration - rear brakes - stay with drum, go to rear disc?

Recommended Posts

As I continue down the restoration of my '88 XR250R, which has rear drum, I'm wondering if I should consider upgrade to rear disc. Does anybody know how much better the rear disc will help to stop the whole bike? I know the front brake is like 70% of your stopping power, which leaves 30% to the rear brake.

The motorcycle mags usually test street bikes stopping distances, like over 100 feet to 0 foot times or whatever.

I wonder how much better the 100 foot stopping time would be on a XR250, with

A: Bike stock: front disc, rear drum (my '88)

B: Bike upgraded: front disc, disc (like the 1990 to current XR250) :

Also, not only considering the stopping time, but does the rear disc add to better "feel", or feedback to the rider?

I kind of like the old school rear drum with rod, which is very simple to work on, but wondering if the rear disc adds a whole lot less stopping distance.

Any comments?

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot to add in B: Front disc, rear disc (like the 1990 to currrent XR250R)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't really say how XRs specifically behave with a disc/drum or a disc/disc configuration. I know my XR with disc/disc stops far better than any other dirt bike I've owned, and I've owned drum/drum and disc/drum configurations.

This should be a poll; my vote would be to go for the discs at both ends. You will not be disappointed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting a rear disk is not a difficult project for the 86-89 bikes, so if you can find the parts for a decent price I'd go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would do it just for the cool looken factor!

The disk would be a bit more responsive than the drum. Not that it realy needs to be though, because like you said most of the braking it done by the front.

But I never use my rear brake. I only use it if im stoped on a Hill, to use it like a hand brake, so i can take my hand of the leaver. Or to come to a sliding sideways stop! :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ride Alot on the road.

I find its more like 95% of my stoping power comes from the front. I cant actually stop any faster using the back at the same time.

Because when i stop as fast as I can, the back wheel actually comes off the ground! So as soon as I would touch the back brake, the wheel will just lock up.

Thats why I never use that back brakes.

I use the compression as my rear brakes. Change down 2 or 3 gears at a time and let the clutch out, compression lock up somtimes! That with the front brakes, you can stop FAST! :cry:

So actually I wouldnt change them. I would leave the drum on. But the disc does look cool! It realy depends on how much piss farting around it is to install it! Ive never done it before, but XR250rdr reckons its pretty straight forward, so price it up and see if its worth it.

Be sure to tell us how you go! Im interested in to see whats involved in doing the conversion.

Well good luck! :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rides a '89, it has a drum brake too, it works pretty ok for me. A doubt installing a disc brake will have a better feel, coz you're on a pair of riding boots which you do not feel much unless you're on a pair of sneakers.

If you insist on fixing a disc brake, change your swingarm to a '91 model.

Good luck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When disks first started being used on db's lots of people stayed with drums because of the increased brake feel.

It's why trials bikes had drums front and rear, years after everything else when to disks.

Finally, if you can lock up the rear tire easily, a stronger brake will do nothing more because of the weight shift forward under braking.

Think disks are better if you ride in mud allot.

Otherwise it's just blingbling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 87 xr 250 and i have disk and drum.. Which the drum is in the back adn disx in front.. I wouldnt mind upgrading to a disc.. that would be awesome.. But how would you do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×