Sign in to follow this  

Another Torque wrench question - searched

Real quick question about buying a torque wrench. I found plenty of good threads here on them and I gathered that I will need a 1/4 and 3/8 to work on my bike. But considering I will not be getting into the engine for a while (newbie) can I get away with just a 3/8. And also what would be the best range to look for If I was only going to have a 3/8? Like 10-80, 5-75? I appreciate your guys feedback as always.

Although it's buyer beware check out e bay as i just scored a Proto 3/8 torque wrench that's range is from 40-200 inlbs. for about 1/4 the cost of new and it's been used maybe once :cry: . Some of the better quality brands such as Snapon, Proto, Mac. etc. cost a little more but the quality is second to none. Don't go for one of the 30.00 1/4" units as they are a piece of cr*p

IMHO. The better quality brands such as Proto/Snapon smaller 3/8 units will fit almost anywhere the 1/4 ones in most cases. A larger cheaper beam type is fine for larger axle nuts/linkage bolts etc is money is a factor and to work on everything it's good to have a couple of different sized torque wrenches. Read over all of the torque specs in the shop manual(they are online at a Yahoo DRZ group) and base your decision on how much you plan to work on your bike and how far you will go into the motor,etc. where torque values are more critical and there is less room for error.

I'm sure you will gets lots of tips on this subject as it's been understandably beat to death. :cry:

one thing to keep in mind is the lower 20% or the torque settings on any torque wrench are not considered accurate. so the bigger the range of the wrench the less settings are accurate on the low end. what this means is on a 10-80ft-lb torque wrench any setting below 25ft-lbs would not be considered accurate. that doesn't mean you can't use them, just don't use them when the torque is critical (like torquing your valve stem caps :cry: )

25ft-lbs is 300in-lbs so make sure you have the ranges covered that you need when picking your wrenchs :cry:

Thanks for the replys guys. I have been looking on the internet for some of the brands recommended like proto but noticed thaoot I am finding some listed as stanley proto and proto. Is this the same company? they look diffent.

I found this proto 3/8 100-1000in per pound. You guys think this would be a good one? Click

here

I also found this 1/4 40-200in per pound. Click here

Would these two be a good combination? Sorry for beating a dead horse, I just want to make sure I make a good purchase.

Proto is the HD industrial division of Stanley if I'm not mistaken. Go for the Stanley/Proto but not the straight Stanley name as they are NOT made of the same quality or even company. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either of those wrenches if it was ME :cry:

Give Proto a call on monday and they can give you the lowdown on these wrenches.

http://www.stanleyproto.com/default.asp?TYPE=STATICLEFT&PAGE=ConversionsCharts.htm&LEFT=left_ConversionsCharts.htm

http://www.stanleyproto.com/default.asp?TYPE=CATEGORY&CATEGORY=TORQUE+WRENCHES

http://mdmetric.com/techindex.htm

http://www.boltscience.com/pages/basics1.htm

If your bored there's a little info you might want to read to "brush up on torque" :cry:

Real quick question about buying a torque wrench. I found plenty of good threads here on them and I gathered that I will need a 1/4 and 3/8 to work on my bike. But considering I will not be getting into the engine for a while (newbie) can I get away with just a 3/8. And also what would be the best range to look for If I was only going to have a 3/8? Like 10-80, 5-75? I appreciate your guys feedback as always.

Check out Sears... they have their 275 in lb (I think that is the max) on sale currently for $67, normally $80. Ask to get on their craftsman club (a free membership) and you can get an additional 10% off.

I just bought one of these Sears low torque wrenches, and I have a Husky brand jumbo wrench too. I think I have it covered.

-f-