Sign in to follow this  

oil change schedule

I'm new to the sport and want to make sure I'm changing my oil and filter often enough. I have a stock '01 250F and currently change my oil after ever 3 rides, and the filter after every 6. However, I'm confused about what actually constitutes 1 ride. If I go out for 2-3 hours, is that considered "1 ride", and should it be factored into my oil change schedule a so? When I ride, I spend equal amounts of time on the trail and track and currently use Yamalube 10-40 and Yamaha filters. Should I be on an hourly schedule instead? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

you should change oil every ride if u go like down the street its not a ride anything more then an hour of riding i would change it and get the stainless steal oil filter and then u just clean that everyride must easy and flows better too

I would go to a high quality synthetic oil for the added protection.

It's tough figuring it out when you ride trails. Yamaha says every 1000km, or about every 600 miles. That's WAY too long.

For serious racing, change it after every race.

For pure trails, I change mine every 100-130 miles or so, which is about 3-5 hours.

I change my oil every 2 rides and filter every 4 unless I put 100 miles or so on it. If the trails were nasty and I rev'd the $hit out of the bike that day then I'll change the oil and replace/clean filter.

get the stainless steal oil filter and then u just clean that everyride must easy and flows better too

I'll second that. If you change your filter as often as you should the cost of the yamaha filters adds up, depending on ride frequency of course. I use a Scotts SS filter.

i change mine every 3 rides and the filter every other oil change.I just purchased a stainless steel oil filter ind in the long run they are definently worth it.I ride mostly trails, some track but if i raced competitively i would have to agree with wheelsup and say to change it every race. :cry:

I go 2-2 (oil every 2, filter every other 2) I just ordered the Scotts SS (already out $60 on paper) And definitely go full synthetic, just for the warm fuzzies)

i change the oil on my yz250f whenever i start to see it get dark. maybe thats a bad thing, but i dont let it go to long. currently im using yamalube 20w-40 and although it works great, next change im going with a fully synthetic for added protection. any reccomendations? my buddy using maxima in his yz400f and it seems to work very well. also a ss oil filter is next.

The amount of time you spend "out" is not what counts, of course, it's the amount of time you spend with the engine running. I change my oil at least every three ride days and clean the Scotts oil filter every time I change the oil. For us, a ride day is something like three 30-40 minute rides,more or less, with varying intensities and some odd messing around in between. So a "typical" day is 2.5-3 hours run time. Three like that is less than 10. I'd say, no more than 10 hours, and be sure you're using a good enough oil that it will keep its viscosity that long. The trans will beat it up.

If I go to a race, I start out with fresh oil, even if it's only got one ride on it, and change it before the next ride.

The truth is that this is probably a little overkill, but no one can accurately say how long you can go on an oil change before something bad will start to happen. My bike cost me almost $5000, and a major rebuild could easily be $2500. Changing oil on the schedule I use will cost me about $440 for a year's worth of Mobil 1 MX4T and the Scotts oil filter. If I'm changing it too often, I'm OK with that. So far, it doesn't seem like I'm letting it go too long, and I'm good with that, too. :cry: