crf250x or wr250f

I like both. The WR feels a bit top heavy but still fun and you can hammer on that thing. My CRF250X feels nimble but its no light weight either. Both good power but the CRF has more down low. The WR can rev way out there! Either way, you can have fun. Coming from an XR100 you will have a blast!

In fairness to the red guys, there have been no reports of premature failures of the '05 CRF series.

At the last minute when we went to pick up our new WRs, we stopped and looked at the Honda display and where "this far" (hold your fingers a couple of inches apart) from going with the CRF250X, primarily because of the green sticker.

Our reasons for staying with the WR....

1 - Yamaha has been doing thumpers longer (though, IIRC, Honda was the first with outboards). They have a solid reputation here on TT. At the time, there had been no reports that Honda had fixed the problems with the '04s other than to tell the owners to check their oil at every fueling.

2 - The CRF has plastic case guards. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't something that is going to damage the case just go right through the plastic guards? Same for the plastic front disk guard. No, Blue doesn't have one, but I don't see plastic as being better than nothing.

The aluminum guards on the WR/YZ aren't much, but they're better than plastic.

3 - It could be a matter of perception, or the frame design, but it seemed to me that the Honda's radiators stuck out a couple of inches further than the WR's. While this will promote better cooling, it also increases the likelyhood of damage in a get-off, or the likelyhood of taking a stick through the core.

I didn't actually measure them, so they may in fact be the same width.

4 - Blue is easier on the eyes for those early morning rides.

5 - By the time we went in to pick up the WR's, I had already purchased the blue gear you can see in my garage pics ? Ya, I know... blue gear looks just fine on a red bike.

I love that picture of you sitting on the bike with the HUGE riding area behind you......kind of makes me sick ??

LOL! That area is thousands of acres of open land, some public, most privately owned, but not fenced and with OHV-friendly owners. It's just west of the Coachella Canal, which marks the western border of one of the new desert tortoise closures.

I've done over 200 miles out there and the only time I've ridden on the same dirt has been actually ON the canal road which links the washes.

If you're buying in 2005 get the Yamaha. If you're getting a 2006 model (won't be long 'till they're out) sit on them both and see what fits better. Try and beg,borrow,steal a ride on each. If you can't wait until the 2006 models, get a Yamaha. Oops, I already said that.....

If you're buying in 2005 get the Yamaha. If you're getting a 2006 model (won't be long 'till they're out) sit on them both and see what fits better. Try and beg,borrow,steal a ride on each. If you can't wait until the 2006 models, get a Yamaha. Oops, I already said that.....

Really? How long before the '06s start coming out? We just got into '05! ? (I just started riding in Sept. so I'm a little new in this field ? )

If you have an XR100 that is breaking, you have a very worn out XR100 or you are very hard on bikes.

They both have been making 4-stroke singles since the earth cooled. Yamaha has been doing making Thumpers based on Road Race cylinders (short stroke, liquid cooled) longer than Honda.

If you don't stay on top of the valve shim clearance on the CRF, you could be in for problems. The WR will probably survive more neglect. Go for an XR250R if you don't like fixing bikes at all.